• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Aero A-2 in russet jerky/Vicenza HH. Anybody got one?

WingAndaPrayer

Hey gang, I’m about to pull the trigger on an Aero A-2. But I’m having trouble deciding between the Vicenza and the standard jerky horse. Anybody own any in the aforementioned hides?

kirova

This is my one, I am pretty sure it is a Vicenza, I got this a few years ago so can't really remember the details, it was one of those apprentice jackets, maybe Ken can ID it if he is around?

I also have another "real deal" jerkey A-2 from Aero, but that was from around 20 years ago so I am not sure if these observations are still valid/up-to-date, to me anyway, the jerkey is more soft supple, while the Vicenza is a bit more stiff (but still comfortable to wear), the finish on the Vicenza is more shiny and more grainy, while the jerky is a bit more on the dull side, some panels were really smooth while others were more grainy, due to being the "real deal".

Attachments

• DSC_0877.JPG
    DSC_0877.JPG
    3.1 MB · Views: 361
  • DSC_0872.JPG
    DSC_0872.JPG
    3.3 MB · Views: 362

Harris_HTM

I don't own any A-2 in these hides, however I own a Happy Days Aero (essentially an A-2 with handwarmers instead of pockets, +/- some other details). in Black Vicenza. This is an older batch (2016) which is equally heavy and thick to Aero's Horween CXL FQHH, however much more pliable; many panels show some amazing grain. I have understood from discussions in TFL that recent batches are thinner and lighter though.
One of the main differences between Vic and Jerky is that Vic is dyed through (at least mine is); at points of wear you won't see any different colour popping out (the trend in TFL is to call this "teacore", I'm personally sick with this trend). Jerky, on the other hand, has a layer that wears off rather easily (I had an Aero B-3 with jerky horsehide at the sleeves).
20201204_073602.jpg

CBI

I wish I could supply some pics. I have owned both hides. The Vicenza is more of a fashion look with consistent texture across the hide. Jerky is more inconsistent with some great graining right out of the box on some sections while other sections may be smooth. The jerky acts like its thinner (not sure if it is) and tends to sit off the body a little more while Vicenza is a smarter more body forming look. Of course all of these observations are off the table if you request grainier or smooth hides. Perhaps someone with a Vicenza jacket that has lots of wear can chime in, in re how it grains over time with lots of wear. I think for a more contemporary look, Vicenza is the way to go, for a more vintage look, jerky. That said, Vicenza gets used more and more for A-2's with customers seeming to prefer it over the jerky. With jacket options though, expect the next post or two to suggest the complete opposite!

WingAndaPrayer

Thanks for the input everyone. I really like the russet jerky HH and will probably go with that. The email from Dom said there’s a roughly 4 month wait, so look for pics come July/August.

B-Man2

John (CBI’s) comments are spot on regarding the differences between the Jerky and Vicenza hides. I might add that if you’re looking for a jacket that lends itself to aging a little quicker, the jerky hide tends to do that . The Vicenza hide takes a bit of wear to get it to look aged . Here’s a photo of a Vicenza Aero I sold off after 3 years of periodic wear .

8DEB4805-A1FB-4F82-A35E-126CE7BDB70A.png

WingAndaPrayer

John (CBI’s) comments are spot on regarding the differences between the Jerky and Vicenza hides. I might add that if you’re looking for a jacket that lends itself to aging a little quicker, the jerky hide tends to do that . The Vicenza hide takes a bit of wear to get it to look aged . Here’s a photo of a Vicenza Aero I sold off after 3 years of periodic wear .

View attachment 74654
That’s a sharp looking jacket

WingAndaPrayer

I’m looking for one that’s closer to an original wartime jacket and it sounds like the jerky HH is the best option for that.

Southoftheborder

Aero's Jerky is probably the closest they have to an original hide for an A2- and it's chrome tanned of course as it should be. But most people now want gorgeous vegetable tanned jackets; rather like many women lust after gorgeous Italian vegetable tanned leather handbags that seem to glow in the sun. But you do need to get a recent swatch to see what they have at the moment if you choose Jerky because it can be a bit shiny and smooth.

This is a jacket I sold on a couple of years ago. It was a trainee jacket so didn't match panels all that well, but the front panel was very grainy and the others very smooth. Overall it had a kind of satin sheen that wasn't quite right. I put it in the washing machine which brought out the grain at the front but didn't really get rid of the shine on the other panels.

P1200014.JPG
P1200012 2.JPG

WingAndaPrayer

Aero's Jerky is probably the closest they have to an original hide for an A2- and it's chrome tanned of course as it should be. But most people now want gorgeous vegetable tanned jackets; rather like many women lust after gorgeous Italian vegetable tanned leather handbags that seem to glow in the sun. But you do need to get a recent swatch to see what they have at the moment if you choose Jerky because it can be a bit shiny and smooth.

This is a jacket I sold on a couple of years ago. It was a trainee jacket so didn't match panels all that well, but the front panel was very grainy and the others very smooth. Overall it had a kind of satin sheen that wasn't quite right. I put it in the washing machine which brought out the grain at the front but didn't really get rid of the shine on the other panels.

View attachment 74725View attachment 74726
Thanks for the tip. I will ask them for samples.