• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Aero A-1 Horsehide Characteristics

alcon

Considering the Aero A-1 and need members comments on the characteristics of their horsehide. Aero indicates on their site the following leather choices for the A-1:

Seal Smooth - Horsehide

Oiled-Horsehide

Brown -Vintage-Horsehide

I like horsehide however, historically my A-2 horsehides (non-Aero) seem to take me forever to break in and are stiff. Can any member speak to the characteristics of the Aero horsehide mentioned above (ease of breaking in, thickness, pliability, etc.,)? Not sure they still make the capeskin but, I would prefer the horsehide if the stiffness issue can be avoided. Thanks :?

John Lever

Van is the expert here, but I will try to help.
The softest is the oiled h/h. but this suede's up very rapidly The Vintage will bruise your elbows when you bend your arms, but looks amazing. I think my Anj-4 has a seal smooth hh trim. It's quite plain and not very inspiring.
My advice go for the vintage and ask then to select thinner hides.

Vcruiser

Holey Moley,John...I ain't no expert!
I just happen to have several Aero jackets made of different hides. I've also found that some new batches of hides can have slightly differing charactoristics. It seems the newer Vintage HH may be somewhat heavier..or stiffer than the softer VHH hides of a few years ago(like I have). I agree with you,tho...the VHH would seem better suited for the A1..especially in a thinner hide if cape is out of the question. BTW..Aero does offer shaved FQHH as well.
Van