• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Aero 1936 pattern boots

Hawkeye

A review for anyone thinking of purchasing a pair of these. These are a size Uk11/US12. They are 14.75 inches tall. The "shell" leather appears to be 1/16 thick, add in the "skin" of the lining and it grows to 1/8 inches thick. The depth of the shearling is 1/2 and inch. the boots also come with sheepskin insoles. They are very warm, but they also breathe well, I was wearing them inddors for a good 2 hours after I recieved them and my feet did not sweat. The only major inaccuracy seems to be the short and round "vamp". If Aero would just fix this problem (which would be rediculously easy, yet Aero still doesnt do it) then they would be top notch repros of the real thing. Thats just my opinion though, you guys can judge for yourselves. all I need to do now is find some thin stick-on rubber soles so I dont slip and slide all over the place.

boots002.jpg

boots003-1.jpg

Leather soles with a rubber heel, as per the originals.

boots004.jpg

It looks like theyve gotten the shape of the uppers fairly close, the last pair I had from motorcowboy did a fairly lousy job at incorporating the curve at the back of the boot.

boots006.jpg

boots008.jpg

boots010-1.jpg

Up close construction details.
boots012-1.jpg

Andrew

Not bad HE, aside from the vamp they don't look too bad. I think they could do with having a shinyer finish, all my originals are pretty glossy- even the brown ones, and I think that is from the original finish of the leather. So perhaps a good spit polish might help the look a bit also or some glossy shoe dye. I really think that would help the appearance. One other thing, you can used tea to stain the white fleece- for some reason they appear to use bleched sheepskin for the linings.

I find that over time and wear the leather soles of my RM's become more grippy as they get cut up, however I imagine walking on snow or ice would be a real challenge. How and where do you plan to wear them?

P2220060.jpg

Hawkeye

I bought them for every day winter wear, so theyll be seeing snow, ice, slush, icy sidewalks, wet hallways, etc. Probobly road salt too, it will be interesting to see how they hold up over the winter.

Andrew

Ok, In that case I guess they're probably best just left to do their own thing. They will look a lot better with age i'm sure.

Some more pics of soles and fleece.
P2150062-1.jpg

P2150057.jpg

Cliff

I bought a pair of these from Aero a few years ago and the soles do eventually offer some grip once they get roughed up a little. I broke mine in walking the dogs in all weathers, well on cool days. The uppers do eventually pick up quite a shine but it takes many many many many polishings and bulling up to get them to the glossy look of the vintage ones. They are extremely comfortable and are my boot of choice for long walks in the winter.

rgds
cliff