aero 16160

Discussion in 'Vintage' started by Silver Surfer, Dec 30, 2017.

1. Silver Surfer

Silver Surfer Well-Known Member

a coupla months ago a "what is your gotta have a-2" post was started. some guys responded with a desire to have an aero 16160 a-2. i posted that i have an original, and have just dug it out to show-tell. the jacket is a size 42 [actually fits like a 40-42] it is all original, as i received it. this 1940 areo contract is an interesting bridge between the earlier pre war aeros and consequent contracts. it was made with a collar stand, but no top stitching on the waist or cuffs. the 16160 is the first aero contract to use the the large ring snaps. this jacket being an early production, has a '39 talon with the hershey bar puller. also of interest, this contract is the only aero contract to use a brown [like rough wear] liner, instead of the more common mustard color liner. the fit is classic aero, but not quite as blousey as subsequent contracts. if ya see any white spots on the jacket, it is because it had just started to snow when i shot the pix. IMG_1538.JPG IMG_1539.JPG IMG_1540.JPG IMG_1541.JPG IMG_1542.JPG IMG_1543.JPG IMG_1545.JPG

zoomer, Maverickson, Skip and 11 others like this.
  2. Roughwear

Roughwear Well-Known Member

This is a lovely example from this small Aero contract. I particularly like the caramel coloured hide with its beautiful patina. Do you wear it occasionally Vic?

3. Smithy

Smithy Well-Known Member

Although I'm no A-2 expert, the 16160 contract is, as I voted for in that thread, one of my favourite contracts.

Many thanks for the pics Vic, she's an absolute corker.

4. Ken at Aero Leather

Ken at Aero Leather Well-Known Member

Stunning, great find

Reminded me that we've still not got that contract on line, the sample was done months ago

ausreenactor likes this.
  5. s4rmark

s4rmark Active Member

Great looking vintage jacket.

6. Silver Surfer

oh yeah, its an occasional, real comfy wearer, without issues. though there are areas of color loss, it is easy to see that the original color was a light caramel russet. btw: this jacket was loaned to chappy [gw] as a template for his 16160 reproduction. glad you guys like it.

7. B-Man2

B-Man2 Well-Known Member

Vic
    A real beauty and a real rare bird. Like every else I really like the light Carmel color. If only these things could talk , I bet it's got a great story to tell.
    Thanks for posting.

8. Roughwear

Roughwear Well-Known Member

I am so glad you loaned it to JC. I have one of the first jackets patterned from it.

[​IMG]

Tommy, s4rmark and Steve27752 like this.
  9. Edward

Edward Well-Known Member

love that color! what a wonderful jacket. thanks for showing it to us!

10. B-Man2

B-Man2 Well-Known Member

Not many of these originals were made in larger sizes like 46 or 48. Most of them were made in the 38 to 42 sizes .I always admired the guys who have been able to
    find a rare original and then be lucky enough to have it fit.

11. blackrat2

blackrat2 Active Member

That jacket is superb Vic
    I for one love the Aero

12. CBI

CBI Well-Known Member

super!!!!!!

13. Silver Surfer

i looked at andrew's gw 16160, and it is a dead on clone. chappy's work is amazing....in every sense of the word, amazing. and, thanx guys.

Roughwear likes this.
  14. Persimmon

Persimmon Well-Known Member

Vic. Can you post the usual measurements - pit to pit/ front and also back lengths /shoulder to shoulder for the jacket please.
    Thanks
    Alan

stanier likes this.
  15. Silver Surfer

ask, and you shall receive. front length: 23 1/4", pit to pit: 22 1/4", sleeves from the shoulder seam to end of leather: 22 1/2" [with knits 24 3/4"], back length from the collar seam to bottom of the back leather: 22" [with the waistband: 24 1/2", epps: 7". shoulder seam to shoulder seam at the top back: 18 1/4".

16. regius

regius Active Member

Ken, could you tell me if the Aero repro of the Aero 16160 is released? Still don't see it on your website.

17. MikeyB-17

MikeyB-17 Well-Known Member

I love the colour of the leather-would like to see more repros like that.

18. Ken at Aero Leather

Ken at Aero Leather Well-Known Member

It appears to have slipped between the cracks during the rush both sides of Xmas

The first sample is finished, but was not sewn by one of our regular A-2 machinists and was made with square corners on the pockets (in error) and the wrong colour stitching, it should be the same colour thread used on attach the label
    I've attached a pic of the label (Cue those members with magnifying glasses)
    Hopefully we'll have a proper sample in the next week or two

16160 Label.jpg

zoomer, nkang, falcon_ib and 6 others like this.
  19. dmar836

dmar836 Well-Known Member

Still looks good to me!

20. Grant

Grant Well-Known Member

Looking good Ken. Can't wait to see the rest of the jacket.