• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Aero 16160 on eb

mulceber

Beautiful! That one's going to sell for a bundle. Out of curiosity, Vic, could you share with us what details identified it as a 16160 for you? I'd like to get better at this.

bseal

Couldn’t it be a Knopf? I don’t see the Aero’s dull reddish lining, and the usual collar stand details are a bit fuzzy from the photos.

Last edited:

Silver Surfer

The 16160 contract Was the only aero contract to use mid brown liner material as against the usual yellowish brown material used in all subsequent contracts. Pocket shape and flaps are dead give aways to identify the jacket as an aero. Collar too.

bseal

8673C9AA-ECFA-4690-A71B-D643E39FD592.png
97DAA75D-D938-4669-8447-B23988B04F99.png
B639F949-CD0F-437C-AFB9-0F602BA86D14.jpeg
709ACD90-612A-4C0D-AE79-D3985B8D7DF4.jpeg
50790D85-BC20-4E0E-A1F2-3C252CE15B75.jpeg
Surfer,

Thanks. Appreciate your thoughts.

Last edited:

Lorenzo_l

Here’s my GW 16160 in dark seal cowhide. My current favorite. I noticed the label sits more flush with the leather hanger.
View attachment 63202

That is one gorgeous GW 16160, Nick. If memory serves, you also have a RW 27752. If you do, how does the Aero fit compared to the RW? I ask because I might be ordering a 16160 from JC and wanted to have a better idea of the fit of that contract. I have an ELC RW 27752 which I like a lot and fits me well, so thus the question. Thanks.

Cheers,

Lorenzo.

Last edited:

Smithy

That is one gorgeous GW 16160, Nick. If memory serves, you also have a RW 27752. If you do, how does the Aero fit compared to the RW? I ask because I might be ordering a 16160 from JC and wanted to have a better idea of the fit of this contract. I have an ELC RW 27752 which I like a lot and fits me well, so thus the question. Thanks.

Cheers,

Lorenzo.

Currently for my GW it's a toss up between a 27752 and a 16160 ;-)

Lorenzo_l

Currently for my GW it's a toss up between a 27752 and a 16160 ;-)

JC strongly recommended the 16160 or any of the RW contracts, he listed them as his favourites, Tim. I already have a RW, so I'd like to go for something else and though a was looking for a non-collar stand contract, his suggestion, together with the looks and features of this particular contract as well the praise it gets on this forum, are all making me lean towards a 16160....

Smithy

Man, for a while it was Five Star that was taking over the board and making its way into every conversation. At least for the moment though, it looks like Good Wear has taken over that role. Great to see more people talking about John's work again.

Totally Jan, nice to see John getting some raised attention.

JC strongly recommended the 16160 or any of the RW contracts, he listed them as his favourites, Tim. I already have a RW, so I'd like to go for something else and though a was looking for a non-collar stand contract, his suggestion, together with the looks and features of this contracts as well the praise it gets on this forum, are all making me lean towards a 16160....

When I was talking to John back in 2008 the 16160 was the one I was leaning towards.

Nickb123

I prefer the feel of the Aero. Mind you, it’s soft cowhide and a 44, unlike the 27752 which is a 46. But my girlfriend prefers the look of the 16160 too if that’s saying something. Caveat is it’s a little short in the body length. But well within the WWII range of fits.

It’s tough to accurately compare the fit of my two contracts because of the size differences and vastly different leathers used.The 27752 is Shinki. I’d say to go for either but do consider John’s cowhide samples. Better drape. Truly not a downgrade from horse in any way to my eyes.

Lorenzo_l

I prefer the feel of the Aero. Mind you, it’s soft cowhide and a 44, unlike the 27752 which is a 46. But my girlfriend prefers the look of the 16160 too if that’s saying something. Caveat is it’s a little short in the body length. But well within the WWII range of fits.

It’s tough to accurately compare the fit of my two contracts because of the size differences and vastly different leathers used.The 27752 is Shinki. I’d say to go for either but do consider John’s cowhide samples. Better drape. Truly not a downgrade from horse in any way to my eyes.

Much appreciated, Nick. This only makes me lean even more towards the 16160. And now that you mention Shinki, JC is offering this horsehide together with Italian horsehide and Horween. I am not familiar with either Shinki or Horween myself, but the Goodwear jackets that I have seen made out of Shinki look simply fantastic. What is you take on Shinki, Nick?
Tim, what are your thoughts on the different horsehides that GW offers?

Cheers,

L.

Nickb123

Much appreciated, Nick. This only makes me lean even more towards the 16160. And now that you mention Shinki, JC is offering this horsehide together with Italian horsehide and Horween. I am not familiar with either Shinki or Horween myself, but the Goodwear jackets that I have seen made out of Shinki look simply fantastic. What is you take on Shinki, Nick?
Tim, what are your thoughts on the different horsehides that GW offers?

Cheers,

L.

Shinki’s certainly special. Mind you, there is a big difference between pigmented vs analine or whatnot. Pigmented will be dyed all the way through with more of a monotone color. The other finish types will have more color variation. The pigment Shinki screams wwwii color, but it isn’t as interesting. Otherwise, beautiful choices either way. If going for a GW you kind of have to at least try the Shinki at least once.

However, I really feel John’s cowhide is a serious contender. I’d rate it on par with Shinki but that is personal preference. It definitely smells like cow and lacks the mystique of Shinki, but otherwise drapes beautifully and has fabulous grain.

I think this is the same cow(steerhide) as mine. I love it.

Lorenzo_l

Shinki’s certainly special. Mind you, there is a big difference between pigmented vs analine or whatnot. Pigmented will be dyed all the way through with more of a monotone color. The other finish types will have more color variation. The pigment Shinki screams wwwii color, but it isn’t as interesting. Otherwise, beautiful choices either way. If going for a GW you kind of have to at least try the Shinki at least once.

However, I really feel John’s cowhide is a serious contender. I’d rate it on par with Shinki but that is personal preference. It definitely smells like cow and lacks the mystique of Shinki, but otherwise drapes beautifully and has fabulous grain.

I think this is the same cow(steerhide) as mine. I love it.

That's great information, Nick. Much appreciated!

L.

entertainment

I definitely recommend considering John's Italian horsehide, which is a lot less stiff than Shinki. It is the one in the middle. Check out the grain. The other two are both Shinki, I am pretty sure.

The jacket with the Italian horsehide is fairly new. The others are five to ten years old.

IMG_3487.JPG