• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Aerial Star / New Jacket maker out of NYC

a2jacketpatches

Chris contacted me through TFL last night and we talked for quite a while. Overall, the guy has a great attitude and I like the way he thinks. As opposed to producing exact duplicates, he enjoys the freedom of making his own choices and simply makes a killer private purchase civilian A-2. Not a repro of some specific vintage piece, but as if he was back in the day, just another company making an A-2 style jacket.

The cost seems very reasonable and he offers a very helpful payment method. He's very confident about his product and he will send the jacket for approval before requiring payment. He should be popping in here today some time as I highly recommended you guys to him. This forum has helped me grow and been a second home to me for a few years now, it asks for nothing in return, and we can all count on good honest feedback and/or constructive criticism.

http://www.aerialstar.com/

MikeyB-17

They look like beautifully made jackets form the pics-good on him! Nice to see another new manufacturer, I hope he does well. I wonder how long he'll be able to keep up the free shipping and buy-on-approval stuff, but good for him. I like the sound of the buy-in-instalments bit too, although I fear they'll still be more than I can afford these days. I can't see any collar snaps, which might be a sticking point with some of the membership here, but I doubt we're his target audience. Looking forward to seeing what other styles he comes up with.

a2jacketpatches

Collar snaps are there, I asked. And I'm sure he'll have to adjust a few things in the near future. But I'm pretty confident that VLJ will help big time with all the collective experience here, makers, consumers, collectors, it's all here and for free. I already talked with him about the inflated cost of advertisement elsewhere, here he'll find all that needs to happen and just watch it fall into place. With such a great attitude, it'll happen naturally for him I'm sure. Not an aggressive guy at all and very open to suggestions. Welcome Chris

dujardin

cool fashion jacket, i like the A2 with slash pockets, she looks a little to the one Mark did for me (my combo jacket) .

Skip

Great to see more new quality talent in this market, especially offering something with a personal twist. Best of luck Chris.

johnwayne

Wow really nice, I particulalry like the slash pocket version too but not really an A2! tThe side entry version looks totally wrong/crude IMO but I do like the simplicity and vintage look of the website!
They do look a long way short of top makers versions but you gotta start somehwere and I guess you get what you pay for and these look quite reasonably priced BUT, he's prepeared to send you the jacket with no money upfront? Surely not? If true then I hope it doesn't backfire on him given there's some unscrupulous people around - not on VLJ of course!!
cheers
Wayne

CBI

Chris seems like a nice fellow, very enthusiastic.

if you order a jacket, you call him with your credit card number, he gets approval for the full amount (does not charge anything to the card upfront) and then gets the order in motion. Once you get the jacket and like it, he charges the first installment, the second a month or so later. I believe if you are an FL or VLJ member, (at least for this first intro offer), he won't do the third installment until Jan. 2014. Free shipping for US customers.

he has set sizes/dimension and all of the supplies ready for making jackets.

I like the A-2 with the slash pockets.

I also like the fact that he seems to have his act together from the get go, simple styles, its all ready. I am sure he can do custom work but I hope he keeps it simple. I like the seal cowhide a lot and the quality looks good. I think with some wear/break in, the jackets are going to look really nice.

No, I have not placed an order but would consider the slash pocket version.

I think the hide is competitive with premium makers (for cow) and the jackets will look "quality" when worn.

CBI

K, here's how its working thus far to place an order with Chris:

A few corrections...........

If you place an order, you call him give him your credit card # and he will get approval (not charge anything) for the FIRST payment. Once your jacket arrives, if you like it, let him know and he will charge the first installment followed by the second a month or so later. You will need to ask but I think for these first few orders, he will defer the third charge until Jan. 2014. Free shipping on US orders.

He has a pattern maker as well as someone who makes the jackets. He will be focusing on vintage civi jacket styles. He's trying to offer quality jackets at reasonable prices. This operation is based in NY.

There seems to be much interest in the A-2 with the slash pockets. The quality of the cow hide looks top drawer. Chris is open to input however he is trying to keep it simple with a limited number of styles with quality details/hardware that won't break the bank. Can he do this, that, can he use this zipper, can he switch to these knits, etc.? I am not sure but probably NO!!!!! He is working with stock sizes right now. I hope it works for him as we really don't have a quality maker in the "lower" price range.

I will have a review of the slash pocket A-2 version in seal brown for you all in about a month or so...............