Advice on repro ANJ4/M444/M445?

Discussion in 'Repros' started by daw, May 4, 2016.

1. daw

daw Active Member

Bevan, as I mentioned to you, the M444 you sold me is the nicest jacket I've ever beheld. I am used to a slightly looser fit than this; it's a 44, I wear a 46 in my A2 and G1 jackets, and it has an impressive heft and stiffness. Going to take some getting used to, and I'm hoping it will break in and be a little more flexible. I will post some photos soon.

Thanks again, Bevan. I'm not sure but I still see an ANJ-4 in my future, too. When my wife says it's ok...

Dennis

2. airfrogusmc

airfrogusmc Well-Known Member

Congrats Denns and good to see you still around Bevan...

RMNZ is no more correct? What happened to Paddy?

3. John Lever

John Lever Moderator

Paddy was due to retire in any event I think she is spending time with grand children.

4. daw

daw Active Member

image2 (784x1024).jpg image4.JPG

Tommy likes this.
  5. daw

daw Active Member

Guys,

This is my new M444 from RMNZ, thanks Bevan and John for the advice.
    I like the fit. I was worried it would be a bit small being a 44; I'm 46L in most things.

This will allow me to hold off on the Aero ANJ4 for for a few months...

Dennis

6. John Lever

John Lever Moderator

Looks like a good fit.

7. Vcruiser

Vcruiser Well-Known Member

Very nice, daw..!!

8. Falcon_52

Falcon_52 Active Member

That is a nice one and looks good on you. RMNZ made some great jackets alright. Wear it in good health!

9. omarco

omarco Member

great fit on the M444, how are you finding the wind flap? it always bugged me a little on mine, it made wearing the jacket unzipped a bit… flappy.

10. John Lever

John Lever Moderator

Fit ? I sold the jacket a couple of years ago....

11. omarco

omarco Member

hey John i meant Dennis's M444 :)

12. John Lever

John Lever Moderator

Sorry, read you post a PM.

13. Garylafortuna

Garylafortuna Active Member

Another one interested to know a little more about peoples experience with Simmons-Bilt jackets, especially military. I've noticed that for their ANJ-4 they offer a choice of
    15mm or 25mm sheepskin.

14. daw

daw Active Member

We had our first snow of the season today; to be honest, I haven't yet worn the M444 outside since I got it back in May, so can't pass judgment on the wind flap. Should take it for a test outdoors in the next few days-will report back soon! I have noticed wearing it around the house, trying to break it in, that the arms are pretty stiff. I'm sure that will ease off with some use.

Dennis

15. Tante Mu

Tante Mu New Member

Hello everyone,

I am a newby member and for years have been toying with the idea of getting myself a nice M-444. I missed out on RMcNZ, very much like the look of the Goodwear(s) and from what i have seen here the Whitefeather for the smaller price tag. Which brings me to US Authentic's M-444. It is meantioned here every now adn then, but i have not found a review or pictures. Just based on the images on their website, it appears to not have the shearling extend behind the zipper ( at least in teh collar area), which to me looks like a big flaw in authenticity, also their was such a version of the M-444.
    [​IMG]

Anyone here have or had a US Authentic M-444 and can clarify this for me? (I did contact them a few years back, but never got a reply.)
    And/or anyone who has knowledge on the M-444 repros by the mentioned (or others that I not yet know of) manufacturers above?

Should I have missed a thread in my search that answers my question(s), please forgive me and stear me towards it.

Thank your and best regards, Thies

Last edited: Mar 11, 2019
  16. MikeyB-17

MikeyB-17 Well-Known Member

I had a Willis and Geiger M-444 several years ago, which I believe is the same jacket as the U.S. Authentic. This is the review I wrote after buying it from John Lever here on the forum. Mine had been modified with an Aero repro Talon which eventually packed up and I had to replace the puller. I sold it in the end, it was nice, but the big windflap used to flop outwards when worn unzipped, see pic 2, which looked too ‘mall jacket’ for me. It was by no means a bad jacket though.

Pilot likes this.
  17. Tante Mu

Tante Mu New Member

Thanks MikeyB-17. Interesting. soeither US Authentic has changed the design of their jacket since you had yours (shorte fleece, no overlap behind collar) or they are using outdated pics on theri website.
    Your (ex)jacket does look nice from your photos. Although for my (soem time in the future) M-444 I would prefer the shorter fleece. It's the main thing about the "medium weight" jackets like M-444, B-6 etc.

18. John Lever

John Lever Moderator

Buy a new Aero.

Pilot likes this.
  19. Tante Mu

Tante Mu New Member

That's straight-forward advice, John. ("Pilot" seems to approve, too. )
    Thank you, especially since you have personally owned and handled a Whitefeather M-444 .
    Just to clarify, "Aero" is Aeroleather in Scotland, right? Didn't know they made a triple-4 and couldn't find one on their website. I will contact them for info.

20. John Lever

John Lever Moderator

They don't make an m444. But the short zip version Anj4 with the two buttons is identical to the m445 a. The long zip version is the standard Anj4.
    Buy an Aero