• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Advice needed on paint removal

Peter Graham

I recently bought a civilian A-2 with a design painted on the back. Can anyone suggest a good method to remove this ? I don't know what type of paint was used, only that it's matt, and to make matters worse, someone has tried to cover it with a black marker pen.
A-2002-1.jpg

Andrew

Hey Peter, it looks like a medical diagram they showed us in antenatal classes! Best get that off asap!

Sorry, no advice on how to do it though.

tamoko

No chance.
But you can repaint. Or add CBI leather Blood Chit, US Flag.
I don't think any cleaning can really help.

A

Anonymous

HI PETER THERE IS A LADY CALLED ROSEMARY DERY ON THE LINK SECTION .SHE STATES ON HER SITE THAT SHE CAN REMOVE PAINT FROM LEATHER .SHE PAINTS PATCHES AND NOSE ART ,EMAIL HER MAYBE SHE CAN SUGGEST SOMETHING TO HELP YOU OUT .RGDS JEFF

A

Anonymous

I used acetone to remove paint on a leather jacket, on a clean white coton cloth, little at a time using light presure. Dont rub too hard or you will remove leather dye also. After the paint is off, clean/dry the leather and apply preservative or leather treatment of your choice.

John Lever

Surely Jerome would be the person to ask about this ?
I use a product that is water based and non-toxic, made by Blackfriars. The smallest tin is 1L for around £10. It's slow acting and shouldn't damage the leather.

Peter Graham

Thanks for the advice guys. I'm sure I will get the damm stuff removed one way or another. John, where would I obtain the product you mentioned ?

a2 fng

Im not guaranteeing it will work on your jacket but in the past ive used either Blackfriars or Nitromors(green tin)paint remover(both water washable NOT spirit washable)to remove paint off various items of clothing,webbing etc including Leather.

Instead of using as instructed-paint on,leave for 5 mins or so for paint to bubble i dip a cloth wrapped around a finger and wipe the offending paint off not leaving the stripper in contact with the item long enough for it to do any damage.

Worked for me in the past but try ENTIRELY AT YOUR OWN RISK :( :(

joeson

I have used Nitromors on various,non-synthetic,materials.Works a treat but test on a small area first.

Peter Graham

After an application of John's paint remover every few weeks for the past few months the design had practically gone. I applied a coat of matching shoe polish, buffed it to a shine and the damm thing has eventually disappeared. I can start wearing the jacket now. Thanks John.