• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Advice For Newbie A-2 Buyer

Saint-ex

Platon Dubow looks great but:

- Lead time. :eek:

- Length. If I talk about my size, 48, back length is 2,75 inch shorter than my FiveStar. Seems really short.

P2725TMB

On Saturday I paid for and ordered an A-2 from Platon JA Dubow. Also sent an email asking for confirmation of receipt of funds, confirmation of fit details and an idea of lead time. Nothing in response yet, but hopefully hear soon... I actually thought I'd got confused and ordered from the wrong company, as the PayPal receipt says funds to Bill Kelso Mfg!

Also sent an email to Bill Kelso enquiring about their RW 23380 in Liberty HH, but no response yet.

Brettafett

There are a couple of BK RW23380s arriving on the forum soon. I'm hoping to receive mine in Seal Liberty before the end of the month, but lets see.

P2725TMB

Look forward to seeing. If I get one I think I'd want it in Russet Liberty. Its likely I will order one, but depends on how good their comms are...

MikeyB-17

That's interesting - it's been surmised before that Platon and BK were still connected. It seems most people complain about the communication, or lack of it, but seem to get sorted in the end.

Saint-ex

I was really lucky for my first question. Less for the second.

Bill Kelso gave me an answer in 4 days.

P2725TMB

Hopefully all fine, I don't expect immediate replies, but if it delays too long BK won't get my order and money in principle. JAD already has, via PayPal, so hopefully they will be professional enough to keep me updated.

mulceber

Uh, I wouldn't get your hopes up. A lot of the high-end manufacturers are small, 1-5 person operations, so they don't have a separate customer service. As a result, they basically get back to you whenever they can. You will get your jacket, and you'll almost certainly love it, but one of the hurdles we all have to deal with in this hobby is low communication during the wait.

P2725TMB

I have now had a short courteous email from Platon confirming receipt and saying it will be 4 to 6 months, which is rather longer than the 6 to 12 weeks it says on their website.

Skanstull

Given that it takes about a day to produce a jacket, I wonder why they need so much time. Are they buying the hides in batches so they need a certain number of orders before they can order? Or is the sewing factory they use busy manufacturing for other companies?

Smithy

When you think they're nearly a third of the price of something like an ELC I wouldn't be surprised if there's a bit of a wait now because of all the people jumping on board to get one.

P2725TMB

I've emailed to ask, as I don't think its reasonable once I've paid to then state a minimum time that's a month longer than the maximum quoted on the website. I suppose it is what it is, but if its the case then they really should revise their website.

I've still had no response from BK. Maybe he's not interested in cultivating new clients.

mulceber

I suppose it is what it is, but if its the case then they really should revise their website.

which, lacking a web developer, would take time that could be better spent making jackets.

Re: BK, I’d just make your order: they’re very flexible about adjusting the size after the fact. They actually make it a general policy to go over the sizing with you before they start making it.

Micawber

Lots of previous on comments on VLJ regarding delivery times and dearth of communication from certain makers. Things are the way they are, that does not make it right but there's little point in raising your blood pressure over "issues" that are already well known here.