• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Advice For Newbie A-2 Buyer

P2725TMB

Sorry, but I don't think its good. A little longer yes, but not over twice as long. Perhaps it will be quicker in reality...

Re BK, any idea on his current turn around time?

Micawber

No it's not good. Lack of comms especially has been raised here time and time again leading to frustration in some - but when the goods eventually arrive everything is usually hunky dory.

mulceber

Lots of previous on comments on VLJ regarding delivery times and dearth of communication from certain makers. Things are the way they are, that does not make it right but there's little point in raising your blood pressure over "issues" that are already well known here.

you put it better than I could.

Saint-ex

That's why I ordered a Fivestar Leather. Ordered on Monday, received the next Monday.

I'm aware it's not the same quality than a top tier manufacturers, but this allowed me to satisfy my desire for A-2 quickly and give me the time to quietly choose the real one. :p

Brettafett

Thats a good call. I will add though, that the wait for a top-tier jacket, frustrating as it is... Is well worth it!

P2725TMB

If BK is taking potentially 15 weeks plus, I may hold off for now and see what Eastman have at their 'pop-up' as an off the shelf. I know it will be circa £300 more, but having decided I'd like a high quality repro A-2 I'd prefer to get at least one sooner rather than later.

Brettafett

Quality, workmanship and authenticity between the top makers, all being top-notch, I recon I could buy another ELC... if only for the excellent customer service and shorter wait times, even for a custom jacket.
I am becoming more and more reluctant to wait months and months for a jacket. And more and more despondent when it does not fit as expected (even after numerous emails)...
Tired of losing money due to fit issues...Perhaps its time to have an operation and shorten my arms.

Brettafett

Yeah, once you've had a couple of decent jackets, you have a good idea of what works for you and the poor-fit issue is minimised, but still.... Nothing beats trying on a jacket, and going, "yeah, this with an inch added to the sleeves please". And four weeks later, you have a perfecty fitting jacket.
Edit: That said, waiting a few months for a high end jacket that ticks all your boxes, is worth the wait. And saving £300-400 makes it feel that much better ;)

P2725TMB

On a more positive note, I bought a pot of ELC's Horse Oil and from initial tests it seems very good indeed - easy to put on, not thick and greasy like Pecards, soaks in quickly and seems to do a good job in softening the leather. At £25, or whatever, for only a small pot it isn't cheap, but is enough for quite a few jackets - and as I don't have many nowadays, that's ok!

DiamondDave

Gents,
Im not sure we can give Platon that distinction. Platon is a salesman and not an artisan. He doesn’t make anything but noise and enemies. He has a Couple of guys on staff, supposedly a cutter and a seamer, that I think are indeed artisans, and follow the instructions set forth By Platon/Andy.

Many times have I seen this argument that a maker should answer all emails “on the spot”, then is given a pass since he is off sewing. That is JC, myself and Steve S. we are operators of sewing machines, but more importantly we are:

IT
Web Design
Pattern maker
Pattern Grader
Sales
Cutter
And Finally the sewing operator, and all of its many facets. There are rules to everything we do, that are set in stone and must be remembered if the jacket is to be made correctly according to the pattern it emulates.

Food for thought.

DD

Technonut2112

Actually, regarding delivery times, the Terms and Conditions on Platon's site state:

Shipping. Our standard turnaround time is around 2 to 3 weeks. However, delivery times may be affected by factors outside our control, such as shortage of materials from our suppliers. In such cases, you agree delivery may take up to about 6-8 months. If a delay is expected with your order you will be notified accordingly with details about the nature of the predicament and you will be kept informed about the progress we are making to solve the problem. We agree that we will use our best endeavors to not unreasonably delay the production of your jacket.

Always pays to thoroughly read the T&C on any manufacturer's site.. Technically once a purchase is made, the T&C are agreed to by the buyer, and would be grounds for PayPal to deny a claim for a refund if an order cancellation was attempted before 6-8 months have passed for any "factors outside of Platon's control", as long as the buyer is notified of the delay (PayPal's limit to file a claim is 6 months).

P2725TMB

I'm certainly not suggesting a refund. But on their much more visible "About Us" its says "We aim to deliver within 6 to 12 weeks" (although admittedly without guarantee). I'm prepared to wait, but in the business I run I would be more overt about delivery expectation, to build customer loyalty.

P2725TMB

Ok, that's me, I'm out. When I was part of this forum many years ago there wasn't all this finger pointing. To be clear, I've not moaned about the wait, just said it's not professional to state what isn't the case and thereby manage expectation, it's a pity you can't see this. In the 'olden days' this forum was much more positive and enthusiastic, but sadly its not like that now.