• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Advice For Newbie A-2 Buyer

Smithy

Hold on, don't go off half-cocked. I really don't think anyone is being negative or insulting to you, or any of those things which would make someone storm off in a huff. It's always difficult with the typed word as it lacks the nuance of face to face communication. But seriously nobody is having a go at you, rather trying to give you a little advice and to alter your initial expectations.

That's good advice from Steve. Unfortunately with a lot of these high end flight jacket makers they're almost one man bands and it takes more time than some are used to in this "order it from Amazon today, on the doorstep tomorrow" world. It'll come and you'll probably love it.

In the meantime if you can't wait for an A-2, pick up a 5 Star, a jacket you can knock around in and not worry about whilst you wait for the Platon to arrive. Even with the Platon and the 5 Star you still will have spent much less than that ELC you were thinking about!

Micawber

Ok, that's me, I'm out. When I was part of this forum many years ago there wasn't all this finger pointing. To be clear, I've not moaned about the wait, just said it's not professional to state what isn't the case and thereby manage expectation, it's a pity you can't see this. In the 'olden days' this forum was much more positive and enthusiastic, but sadly its not like that now.

Sorry you feel that way and I apologise if my comments have offended as no offence was intended. I understood your comments but fear you may have misunderstood the sentiment behind mine. Pax.

As an aside, I threw the towel in this forum at least once, maybe twice in previous years due to what I perceived as aggressive pomposity, however since rejoining, on the whole, I find it a more agreeable place these days.

Last edited:

mulceber

Well, looks like we lost P27. Seemed like a nice guy, but if he couldn’t handle gently being told that his expectations were unrealistic, then he wasn’t going to last very long here anyway.

Last edited:

B-Man2

I hate to see us loose people, but I think he was being just a bit overly sensitive. People will always have differing viewpoints but that’s OK. No reason to get into a huff about it. And if you just don’t like what the other guy is putting out, well, there’s always the ignore button. I mean why deny yourself the enjoyment of hanging out around here with the rest of us.:)

Last edited:

Smithy

One thing that seems to be becoming more prevalent on discussion boards from my experience is the number of people who seem to want to be offended and take everything said or construe it as very deep and personal criticism. It seems to be more of a "fashion" now to be offended at the drop of a hat and to subsequently follow this up with righteous indignation, often when not really justified. It really feels like some people are wanting to be insulted so they can react that way. Bizarre and I don't understand it but there it is.

It's very possible the member above isn't acting in such a manner and just doesn't have time nor internet access, but if he really has thrown all his toys out of the cot and left over what happened on the last page or so then it seems a little bit like what I'm talking about in the previous paragraph. I went back over the last couple of pages of postings and I honestly can't see how anyone could be offended unless they were ridiculously hypersensitive.

Let's hope it's just a case of not around a computer or no time to post.

London Cabbie

Wow, I was in my Cab today and fella asked to go Nigel Cabourn shop. My Ears prick up and turns out he is a jacket fiend... He is lawyer in Switzerland and has to hide his purchases from the Doris just like us. He had EVERY classic jacket by the the best repro manufacturer’s that specifically make that best version. I mentioned this forum and how helpful everyone has been on here, guidance according to quality, budget, sizing etc...guys not only do you make me laugh at the anorak skills on vintage leather, but you give serious advice on buying. I was reading this thread and was a bit surprised at the fellas response in bugging out after all your considerate advice, maybe you can’t please everyone all of the time...?
I am waiting for my Dubow from Platon 2 emails in one month no answer to questions about how long the wait is but that’s fine as you all gave me the heads up first. Keep doing what you do regardless. And Thankyou for your advice and warnings. Am worried about the ELC pop up and splurging out...

ZuZu

Ok, that's me, I'm out. When I was part of this forum many years ago there wasn't all this finger pointing. To be clear, I've not moaned about the wait, just said it's not professional to state what isn't the case and thereby manage expectation, it's a pity you can't see this. In the 'olden days' this forum was much more positive and enthusiastic, but sadly its not like that now.
I alss was on this forum many years ago. What you say isn't true- we had actual discussions and not just the "Great jacket Dude!!!" crap you find on the Fedora Lounge. I like what the forum has become- you can get some actual useful advice from these gents. I personally know nothing of Platon or Bill Kelso but simply reading this thread has helped me out. My two cents: Get a Diamond Dave if he's still in the jacket business...