• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ace’s A-2 Find

dmar836

Great pics! I need to buzz up there one day. Is the display viewable only when there is someone present. I have wanted to set up something similar but just not sure how to keep people's hands off of that stuff.
Dave
Olathe, Ks

Brent

In the photo 9077, back row second from the left, what is that jacket?

Stony, I was raised in east central Illinois. Great place to grow up.

Regards,

MikeyB-17

AN-J-4. Interesting mix there, some B-3’s, a couple of B-6’s, and several D-1’s, plus the chap with the AN-J.

Dom

Great pics! I need to buzz up there one day. Is the display viewable only when there is someone present. I have wanted to set up something similar but just not sure how to keep people's hands off of that stuff.
Dave
Olathe, Ks

Hi Dave,
It’s in the FBO building so it’s open anytime they are...which I think is 8-5, 7 days a week. Let me know if you fly up and we can meet up and have lunch.

Dom

Arthur

Another little treasure trove of history tucked away in a little known museum. Thanks very much for posting the photos and info.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

B-Man2

View attachment 13490 Hi Guys....I literally stumbled across this little museum at one of our local airports yesterday. My jaw dropped when I saw in the case this painted A-2 from a P-51 pilot with pictures and history. I visit this airport 3 times a month to visit friends, but have not been in the office for 6 months, I guess this “small museum” was moved there 6 months ago. I was told it was from the Air Force Museum at Rantoul AFB, that was disbanded several years ago. There is also a room full of B-17 gear and uniforms from a couple of local Bombadiers, models, etc. The Airport it is at is Bult Field in Monee IL . The website for the museum is ghqmilitarymuseum.com
I see this A2 has a mouton collar. Possibly a parachute riggers addition. I remember we discussed this jacket in another thread and Ken (Aero) told us that at one time Aero had made a Hybrid A2 jacket with a Mouton collar similar to those that were worn in the China Burma India Campaign.

tibor

I know about the M-422 in China, but hadn’t heard about the hybrid A-2. Do you have any pics?

B-Man2

I know about the M-422 in China, but hadn’t heard about the hybrid A-2. Do you have any pics?
I don’t have any photos but the subject was discussed in another thread in the eBay section. Look at the thread “Is this an Aero A2”?If Ken from Aero reads this I’m sure he’ll weigh in on this discussion. Aero used to make a repro of the rigger modified A2 a few years back. They eventually discontinued the project . That’s all I know about it and that information is in that thread.

Last edited:

Smithy

Can't add anything to the history discussion of these in-theatre modified jackets but I do really like the look of them. Be a handy in this neck of the woods too.

Ken at Aero Leather

I don’t have any photos but the subject was discussed in another thread in the eBay section. Look at the thread “Is this an Aero A2”?If Ken from Aero reads this I’m sure he’ll weigh in on this discussion. Aero used to make a repro of the rigger modified A2 a few years back. They eventually discontinued the project . That’s all I know about it and that information is in that thread.

There's at least one pic in a CBI book in ther factory.
It's bit like a year book in style (Huge Blue Embossed Hard Back, circa late 70s?) so one pic takes a lot of finding
Next time I'm in the factory I'll try to dig the pic out