• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ace’s A-2 Find

Dom

ED463166-3BCB-45B8-95FE-2512888245AC.jpeg
Hi Guys....I literally stumbled across this little museum at one of our local airports yesterday. My jaw dropped when I saw in the case this painted A-2 from a P-51 pilot with pictures and history. I visit this airport 3 times a month to visit friends, but have not been in the office for 6 months, I guess this “small museum” was moved there 6 months ago. I was told it was from the Air Force Museum at Rantoul AFB, that was disbanded several years ago. There is also a room full of B-17 gear and uniforms from a couple of local Bombadiers, models, etc. The Airport it is at is Bult Field in Monee IL . The website for the museum is ghqmilitarymuseum.com

Brent

Thanks for posting Dom. My father was stationed at Rantoul AFB for a while during WWII. Guess it's been over ten years since I've been there. Might be time for a road trip.

Regards,

Dom

Hi Brent....Its pretty much just derelict buildings with only a couple being used. The remaining aircraft were all scrapped this summer, a C-97, Grumman Albatross (I think), a couple of F-101's, and a C-47, kind of sad to see them all torched but they were the leftovers after the other museum's took what they wanted. The city own's it now and there are only 10 GA aircraft based there, my buddy keeps his Piper L-4 there.

Attachments

• L-4 1.jpg
    L-4 1.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 170

Stony

Thanks for posting Dom. My father was stationed at Rantoul AFB for a while during WWII. Guess it's been over ten years since I've been there. Might be time for a road trip.

Chanute AFB is in Rantoul, IL. Is that the base you are referring to?

Micawber

355th FG Steeple Morden. Originally a satellite of Bassingbourn. I lived very close to here for quite some years.