• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

About genuine US ARMY M-65 field jacket

eamenos

Hi everybody, last month I bought an original issued 1987 US ARMY M-65 jacket in woodland cammo in excellent state. But I have some questions about it.

1- What could happen if someday I'm involved in a heavy rain, and the jacket ends totally wet? Is it dangerous for the jacket? Or I simply have to dry it under a sunny and windy day as other type of clothes?

2- Which M65 jackets are better designed (durability, resistance, etc), 60's-70's or 80's ones?

(My intention is to buy another genuine M-65 jacket but in the original colour, the green one). Thanks.

B-Man2

Hi E !
Welcome to VLJ !
The answer to your question is that you don’t have anything to worry about other than a little bit of sun fade over many years of sun and washing it in a washing machine . The coat was made for wearing in all sorts on inclement weather by combat troops . Believe me , you’re good to go .

Chandler

Can't answer which vintage is better, but I've had two over my years (70s & 90s versions, I guess), and both were pretty much bullet proof.

Grew out of one, still use the other for shoveling during snowstorms and grilling on cool evenings. Nothing to worry about if it gets wet -- it was meant to! ;)

bazzer

Hi again as b- man said don't worry about getting them wet they were made for it I wash my ones the use water resistant spray post

The od have been out of service for a long time now trying to find a good one at a good price is very hard now

They are all pretty much the same when it comes to quality

Baz

eamenos

Hi again as b- man said don't worry about getting them wet they were made for it I wash my ones the use water resistant spray post

The od have been out of service for a long time now trying to find a good one at a good price is very hard now

They are all pretty much the same when it comes to quality

Baz
I don't know anything about using a water resistant spray. Could you summarise me that? Thanks

B-Man2

Where is moderator??
It is important.
Byu.
52A9D4C3-5A23-4906-88BE-114B925B5B6E.jpeg

Tylbor

The best - from 60s with silver zips.
I can’t agree more. However jackets from 70s with brass zippers are also very well made. I have four M65 jackets and I must say that the one from the 80s is made with less attention to details, especially stiching. But I guess it is a matter of a particular manufacturer rather than a decade. Just avoid plastic zippers, they may be still reliable but look less stylish

Flightengineer

I can’t agree more. However jackets from 70s with brass zippers are also very well made. I have four M65 jackets and I must say that the one from the 80s is made with less attention to details, especially stiching. But I guess it is a matter of a particular manufacturer rather than a decade. Just avoid plastic zippers, they may be still reliable but look less stylish

Perhaps I expressed myself incorrectly. It's not about quality, of course, it's just my personal preference. I had a huge number of contract M65s and M51s and I liked the jackets most of all made before 1971, when the wedge in the sleeve disappeared and they began to use brass zippers.
As a result, I kept for myself two M65 from 1968 and 1971 and sold all other.

bazzer

I don't know anything about using a water resistant spray. Could you summarise me that? Thanks

DSC_0063.JPG

I use this once they are dry don't worry it does not effect the material
It's easily reverse by using fabric condictioner in the wash
Works really well put up s tent in a heavy rain storm and remain dry
I think my favourite is the early DCU like the colour
DSC_0064.JPG
DSC_0065.JPG

It a 1991 one

Tylbor

View attachment 57096
I use this once they are dry don't worry it does not effect the material
It's easily reverse by using fabric condictioner in the wash
Works really well put up s tent in a heavy rain storm and remain dry
I think my favourite is the early DCU like the colour
View attachment 57098View attachment 57099
It a 1991 one
M65 in DCU is still on my list. Even with a plastic zipper. I can see that your jacket is manufactured by Isratex, how about the quality of stitching?

bazzer

It's ok not great had to restich around elbows Isratex has never been associated with quality
Baz