• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

AAF NOSE ART

Grant

Some mighty talented artists and copywriters served in the Pacific Theater!

A20.jpg

B24.png

ausreenactor

Imagine that 'stuff' today?

PC Brigade would go into meltdown. C Sqn used nose art on our Chinooks through Afghanistan. The decals are still on display in our cabinet in the foyer. I was told to remove it I advised we had lost the key and that would have to pay for a locksmith. The girls are still there.

ausreenactor

The art of 'signwriting' has been killed off with technology these days. Laser cut decals and printed decals are all the rage now.

Edward

The art of 'signwriting' has been killed off with technology these days. Laser cut decals and printed decals are all the rage now.
years ago (mid 1990's) I walked into an indoor flea market... more of a crafts show kind of thing and an old guy in his mid 70s I suppose, dyed dark brown hair, slicked back with hair tonic or some kind of pomade I shit you not and he was offering his hand painting sign skills for anyone that needed a sign for their shop or sale or what have you. fun guy to talk to... he fell back on an old skill he had when he was a lad to make some extra money in his retirement days... I was in my mid twenties... probably not cognitive enough to realize I probably wasn't asking the right questions or picking his brain more on his past as a sign maker... what stuck out was that his work was still very nostalgic and period looking! I would do anything to go back and buy signs.. anything from that guy now! so disappointed in myself for not buying something he did by hand that looked so much like something you would find from the 30's and 40s. I'll never forget that sweet old man and always wondered what it was like at the end of the day to pack up and head home having probably not sold a damn thing. :(

B-Man2

years ago (mid 1990's) I walked into an indoor flea market... more of a crafts show kind of thing and an old guy in his mid 70s I suppose, dyed dark brown hair, slicked back with hair tonic or some kind of pomade I shit you not and he was offering his hand painting sign skills for anyone that needed a sign for their shop or sale or what have you. fun guy to talk to... he fell back on an old skill he had when he was a lad to make some extra money in his retirement days... I was in my mid twenties... probably not cognitive enough to realize I probably wasn't asking the right questions or picking his brain more on his past as a sign maker... what stuck out was that his work was still very nostalgic and period looking! I would do anything to go back and buy signs.. anything from that guy now! so disappointed in myself for not buying something he did by hand that looked so much like something you would find from the 30's and 40s. I'll never forget that sweet old man and always wondered what it was like at the end of the day to pack up and head home having probably not sold a damn thing. :(
Great story.....Did you ever find out if he was a WWII vet by any chance?

Edward

Great story.....Did you ever find out if he was a WWII vet by any chance?
nope... I'm a dumbass... this was 1990-something... I'm just walking around like a typical 20 something kid with just barely enough appreciation for the era from which this guy came... I look b ack now and would have interviewed the guy and sent it to a sign trade magazine or newspaper. just a crying shame. I'm sure he had a story of some sort and I was too immature to find out at the time.

B-Man2

nope... I'm a dumbass... this was 1990-something... I'm just walking around like a typical 20 something kid with just barely enough appreciation for the era from which this guy came... I look b ack now and would have interviewed the guy and sent it to a sign trade magazine or newspaper. just a crying shame. I'm sure he had a story of some sort and I was too immature to find out at the time.
Ahh don't beat yourself up with it.....Hell all of us have the same stories..

B-Man2

I wonder...Did the Germans have similar female nose art? ...I don't remember seeing anything other than Mickey mouse and a few Becks Beer logos.
Never saw any Japanese nose art on their aircraft.