• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

AAF kit issue document Apr. 16, 1942

Spitfireace

Thought I'd post some pics of a document I found in the book Combat Flying Clothing by C. G. Sweeting. It shows what the typical issued kit was for flyers and the part numbers for them. May be of interest to some. Although probably not new information. I found the book interesting but also as I say not necessarily anything I didn't know already, and was pretty generalized. For more specific information, there are probably better books.
AAFkitpg1.jpg
AAFkitpg2.jpg

Carl

Id say along with the 2 Sweetings books and the publication by Mathieu Bianchi , you would have 3 of the most useful books out there at the moment for AAF clothing and equipment .

EmergencyIan

Wow, I love that stuff, too. Fun and very interesting to read.

I have a set of 12 books by Charles Lemons called Uniforms of the U.S. Army Ground Forces 1939-1945. They’re expensive, as a set, but in valuable. I wish that those types of books were available for the U.S. Navy along with the USMC, during WWII and, of course, the U.S. Army Air Force.

- Ian

Last edited:

EmergencyIan

There are 12 volumes of info and contract info, but keep in mind that it’s all ground forces infoformation. There is nothing on flying gear or any USAAF clothing and gear. However, if you ever think of a specific U.S. Army ground forces item that you want more specific information on, let me know and I can look it up.

- Ian

Spitfireace

No but I like the CVC which is a Combat Vehicle Crew jacket.. and I love them.. for durability. and warmth.. it's like a b-10 but without a mouton collar.

Spitfireace

most of us are not good at B-3s .. .they aren't good jackets if original. I have one ... pretty disappointing.....

EmergencyIan

No but I like the CVC which is a Combat Vehicle Crew jacket.. and I love them.. for durability. and warmth.. it's like a b-10 but without a mouton collar.

The jacket issued to crew memebers of combat vehicles was the type I or type II Jacket, Combat, winter, Armored Force jacket (better known as the tanker jacket). From the documentation that I have, it looks like it was issued to almost everyone who drove or regularly occupied any sort of combat vehicle and then some. Of course, a good number of ground troops acquired these jackets, as well.

- Ian

Carl

The jacket issued to crew memebers of combat vehicles was the type I or type II Jacket, Combat, winter, Armored Force jacket (better known as the tanker jacket). From the documentation that I have, it looks like it was issued to almost everyone who drove or regularly occupied any sort of combat vehicle and then some. Of course, a good number of ground troops acquired these jackets, as well.

- Ian
As well as many AAF pilots etc ;)

Carl

I'm getting off topic. which was... a document.. ok then.......Carl needs to update.

sorry it was not good?
If i wasnt such a collecting "snob" it is a good display piece , but i was mislead in the photos and description of it .
20180923_092434.jpg
20180923_092457.jpg
20180922_121643.jpg
20180922_123201.jpg
20180923_092208.jpg