• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

AAF decal help

Happy Hooligan

I did a search but didn't find what I was looking for so if this has been covered before let me know..

I bought one of those AAF decals from Garcia Aviation probably 4-5 years ago and just found it last weekend.

I wanted to try to apply it to my A2, but no instructions were given with it. I see MASH has instructions for theirs, but would they be the same for the Garcia? Plus, MASH as you using all sorts of lotions and cement and irons and creams....

Anyone do this with the Garcia one? Is it easy? Will it not work? I regret not having Aero put on one when they made it for me...

RCSignals

yours is the water transfer decal I assume?

Mash has instructions for both a water transfer and an iron on. I'm not sure you'd want to use an iron over a water transfer decal, unless it's before the decal is applied and the iron is used to smooth out the area you want the decal.

Clean the area well first, and even if you don't have the MASH liquids I'd suggest following their instructions.
If you check with a hobby type store you might find some of the liquids etc MASH mentions.

EMBLEMHUNTER

you may want to go over to the site - thefedoralounge and check into thier "Outerwear" forum section, they had a topic about it there sometime ago , they should be able to give you some help with the decal , good luck !
Johnny

Happy Hooligan

well I just cleaned off the shoulder and put the decal in water... it sizzled and after about minute it was able to slide, but didn't slide very well. I lost the writing on the bottom but got the majority of the roundel on. Looks like it might peel, but who knows... I applied a coat of picards to the top of it hoping that might help... I think I'll just wind up painting one on when this one peels off all the way...

dmar836

The decal solutions made by Microscale (Solvaset was one fluid, I think Microsol was another) really do wonders on models - when I finally tried it I couldn't believe the difference and that I had never used it before. Read up on them but I had both for various uses. When properly used, the decal wrinkles up and appears to be melting(it's kinda scary) but when it dries it returns to it's proper detail and shrinks into the grain of anything! I would have to think this would be a great help in this case though I have never tried it.
Perhaps then airbrushing over it with Future floor wax would give it a good acrylic seal.
Just a guess but this is certainly what I would try - even for my first one.

Dave