• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

AAC recruiting poster

Carl

Really must get this framed
DSCF3441.JPG
DSCF3442.JPG

Greg Gale

I always loved that painting and story (The Voss fight), too bad the artist fell to the misconception that Rhys Davids's B'525 had the top wing roundels in the centered position. It was a Martynside built SE5a, and therefore had the roundels centered above the wing struts. Also, McCudden didn't have his wheel covers painted in B flight's colors, but the dumbell aft his ID letter should have been blue for the same reason. Sorry, this is really OT though :D

Smithy

I always loved that painting and story (The Voss fight), too bad the artist fell to the misconception that Rhys Davids's B'525 had the top wing roundels in the centered position. It was a Martynside built SE5a, and therefore had the roundels centered above the wing struts.

Hey Greg, I was out but home now and had to check as I didn't think that was right about Rhys Davids's SE.

B525 wasn't a Martinsyde SE it was one of the 200 ordered from Vickers under Cont No 87/A/1627 on the 6th February 1917. They were delivered to 10 AAP Brooklands. I think you might be getting confused with B31 in which he was killed, which was a Martinsyde SE.

Cheers!

Tim

Greg Gale

My mistake, you're right. It was indeed a Vickers built one, but the statement about the roundel placement still holds. Indeed, B31 was the one built by Martinsyde, there is a shocking picture of RD under its wreckage in "High in the empty blue".

Smithy

My mistake, you're right. It was indeed a Vickers built one, but the statement about the roundel placement still holds. Indeed, B31 was the one built by Martinsyde, there is a shocking picture of RD under its wreckage in "High in the empty blue".

Alex was telling me that he nearly didn't publish that photo. But decided to include it as by the time HITEB came out Nesna and the others had passed away. Although from what he's said to me, I get the feeling he's still not comfortable with it being included in the book.