• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A2JACKETPATCHES KICKED OFF OUR SITE

Vcruiser

I doubt that Tom really had that much to do with the final decision. I imagine discontent had been brewing for some time. It would take much more than Tom 'telling' B French to ban someone. As A2jp stated several times...he wouldn't care if he did get canned.

Last edited:

Vcruiser

Warnings are not always made in public. I have a feeling there have been several although possibly for other reasons. In fact, some have been public.
Bill French has also posted this:
"We don't take the removal of a member's privileges lightly but when someone has been previously warned and disregards this warning, then that person will no longer be a member here".

Last edited:

bfrench

Administrator
Yes, it is hard to get the boot here - but when you disrespect others here there is no hesitation in fixing the problem.

There are times when it's best for everybody involved when a member has to part ways with the forum. It's a rare step to take, but one that is done to keep things positive and moving forward.

Remember we're all guests on this forum - much like going to someone's big rumpus room for friendly chat - we're all old enough and mature enough to know that rules of civility apply.

Silver Surfer

personally, i have looked forward to the more controversial posts and their responses. it has always livened things up around here. but, then again, it would seem that i am a majority of one.

Otter

I never saw the exchange, but I do tend to agree with Silver Surfer unless someone would care to elucidate.

Vcruiser

The prominent difference compared to most posters, that gradually increased over the years, was his determination to self promote even to the point of dominating and drowning out all other opinions. Along with the need of using some VLJ's conversations as sales vehicles rather than leaving it up to other members to encourage his outstanding patches on the main forum. Always dismissing any criticism of those tactics as unfair, just as forum regulations were also unreasonable, then playing the victim in multiple posts finally questioning other members actual forum worthiness to further disrupt any chance of civil discourse with whatever the thread was about in the first place. Similar to Platon, this had ongoing indications of becoming mainly the A2jp forum. With broken promises and determination to keep on keeping on, perhaps, led to his demise.
Of course, these are only my opinions.

Last edited:

Rutger

I couldn't be annoyed by what he wrote, there are many things in life that are infinitely more important than some irritations on the internet.
I don't know which issues led to him being banned. If all these issues are what has been written in public on the forum, well, see my first line.
I respect him for his creativity with leather and for him being his own boss.
I vaguely remember some issue whatsit two weeks ago of which I thought, ok, this isn't the wisest thing to say.
With each banning of rotenhahn, platon and now a2jacketpatches the forum lost a bit of controversy, liveliness and entertainment.

watchmanjimg

With each banning of rotenhahn, platon and now a2jacketpatches the forum lost a bit of controversy, liveliness and entertainment.

For the most part I agree, but unfortunately Sean seemed to have an irrepressible appetite for the last word in every discussion and I imagine this played at least some role in his undoing. I've had dealings behind the scenes with Sean as well as Platon and Rotenhahn with no issues whatsoever, but the fact remains that for whatever reason they didn't play well with others. The sad part is that each made a contribution to the forum in his own way, and if I understand his remarks correctly even Van (whom I wouldn't characterize as A2JP's greatest fan) appears to acknowledge the quality of Sean's handmade patches.

I hate to see anyone leave VLJ, regardless of the circumstances.

ausreenactor

Let's look at the last two to three years. Two 'manufacturer/vendors' that contributed almost daily to the forum and the hobby, through the provision of products and services, become highly frequent posters. And through the perceptions of their behaviour from a select few they are rewarded with removal from the VLJ.

The products of these individuals are now listed elsewhere, with an increased supporter base and a positive response across social media. From the number of posts on VLJ we have shown, through our history, we are more concerned with commentary on Reproductions, eBay and Life beyond the internet. With nobody posting new reproductions I am not sure if that trend will continue. As long as the label maker is good to go, I guess the contracts will pop up on the radar in the future. Anyone who knocks up reproductions or accessories putting posts up for their kit would be very popular and endorsed here in theory, based on the statistics. I guess waxing lyrical about random unrelated stuff is pretty important to many too.

Someone will always wants to have the last word and the forum will certainly not change for the better with Sean's removal. I guess that there are some that think that members will return, post numbers will rise as a result and the VLJ will once again be the place to be. I see it going the other way...

robrinay

I pointed out above that he may have contravened the code of conduct. Now he's not a member his content can't be accessed easily through his profile page for members to view the comments that may have led to his demise. I think therefore that we need to accept that the moderators looked carefully at the case and made a fair and objective decision in enforcing the code. I wouldn't want to be a member of any forum where the code of conduct was not enforced.