• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A2 Websites

Smithy

It’s a little bit addictive, this leather jacket lark...

Just be careful of the rabbit hole ;-)

3ba41c16b44edd7d9c5c9faeec965fad.gif

London Cabbie

Is there massive difference in the shape of different contracts or is the difference in the details collars, pockets etc...?

The Dubow fits me really well, I don’t know what other contract to look at...?

mulceber

Definitely a difference. Different sized arm holes, different widths to the back, more and less fitted lower and upper chests. My Rough Wear does not feel like the same jacket as my Dubow.

You can sort of get a sense of it by reading the blurbs provided by BK and GW and seeing what they say (and don’t say). For example, both of them describe the Star contract and the Cable contracts as comfortable. Meanwhile, all mention of comfort is omitted from the descriptions of the Rough Wear contracts...that’s not to say they’re a pain to wear, and I’ve gone about wearing mine all day on occasion and had no problems, but the designers definitely had their own idea of how a jacket should fit.

For whatever it’s worth, my recommendation would be to go for something with a different fit from your Dubow, just so you can experience the full range of different contracts. The Dubow is athletic, so maybe a Cable, Aero, or Rough Wear?

Last edited:

London Cabbie

Thankyou Mulceber
I thought it might be easier than that.

Would be helpful if all the Mfg used similar sizing guidelines ie...

Trim (Vintage)

Athletic (Modern)

Casual (Loose)

Smithy

As Mulceber has pointed out there's quite a difference between contracts and especially how they fit.

It's probably one of the reasons why some guys have owned every contract under the sun - to see which one fits them best.

I have two A-2s and they're as different as chalk and cheese in terms of how they fit me. Both fit but the way they feel is markedly different and as a result I tend to wear them depending on what I plan to do whilst wearing it. My wife doesn't get it and asks why I have two of the same jacket and she's not a big fan of A-2s to begin with so for her it's plain craziness -sometimes though I do wonder if she has a point.

But if you try on two different A-2s you'll immediately get the whole same jacket but entirely different thing.

As Mulceber also points out one of the best places to learn about the different contracts and their idiosyncrasies in terms of how they're cut and fit, is the Goodwear site.

Just be careful though, it really is a rabbit hole and it can end up costing you a ton of money if you choose to go down it.

Mind you it's more fun than stamp collecting and less dangerous than heroin!

Brettafett

Agree wholeheartedly with the above.
Theres another cool wobitse to have a look at, its an oldie, but a goodie...
I'd hazard to add, that if you're looking at another A-2, perhaps consider one in russet.
Personally, I like that the patterns and contract details vary... Also means theres a jacket for 'almost' everyone.

Lord Flashheart

It is interesting to me that, given the military contracts for A-2, both how much variety in interpretation there was between the designers for each manufacturer and how much consistency existed. After all the Air Force didn't need their crews comparing collars, pocket details and russet hues when there was a serious job to do. And the manufacturers were in it to make money.

But differences there clearly are between A-2's and I doubt anyone will ever compare high-vis jackets in the same way ....

mulceber

If they'd cared much about having a consistent fit, they would have given each contractor a pattern. From what I've been able to glean, it seems like they just had a list of specifications that it had to meet. A pretty detailed list, but loose enough that there was plenty of room for interpretation when it came to fit.

Lord Flashheart

I took a gamble ordering my ELC Star Sportswear and the experience and fit pics of other members here really helped me make that call. For all the occasional "handbags at dawn" moments here there is a real resource to learn from. I have a russet Dubow on order from Platon so we'll see how that turns out.

But I like my ELC G-1 55J14 ... and I'm trying to find out more about the M-422A contracts and a good repro. Rabbit hole anyone?