• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A2 vs G-1 - Whats the more comfortable/practical jacket?

MikeyB-17

It’s not a G-1, definitely a leather collar, although it has a short windflap. Looks like a snap at the bottom of the zip. I suspect Avirex may have had a hand in it.

Brettafett

Its an original G-1 that had the mouton removed and a leather collar replaced. Custom work. There are a few of these around.
I went on an exercise years ago about this...

MikeyB-17

Yeah you’re right-just found this which shows the throat latch.
083854E6-1C74-445D-8D9C-39CC4C0A5961.jpeg

B-Man2

I was obsessed with this jacket a few years back. Was keen to pick up an original and replicate it ;)
Bretta
I like it ... as I said earlier reminds me of an AN-J-3, but you can certainly find a used g-1 with a messed up collar and restore it to look like this one for reasonable money . The nice thing is we have the people here who could make the collar transfer in a blink.
( You’re thinking about it now ..
.. aren’t you?;))

airfrogusmc

think a lot of my reasoning is tied to the branch of the Armed Forces that used the jacket. Only ever had one G-1.

Either you're a soldier, or a sailor. ;)

Or a Marine.

Brettafett

It would appear so, but as this is a 'movie' jacket, ie one can't really tell how far it was messed with for the production. It appears all original... It had a chit on the back also.
60328-e6f47599b3a363b3134aead9c0bb6c99.jpg

Brettafett

Totally agree.
I need up getting an unpatched Cockpit Forrestal G-1, hoping to get something akin to this. The Cockpit G-1s (especially the 100 missions) are very nice, albeit overpriced...
Anyway, the Forrestal leather collar imo was not very nice in person. Returned it.
Need a cheap as chips decent 60s or 70s G-1 and then match the goat as best as possible and fit.

London Cabbie

I have a ELC G1.

I love it.

However because of this forum I have purchased my first A2, Seal Dubow from Platon. The A2 fits me perfect and is a little more restrictive than the G1, which are both size 42. The G1 size is a tiny bit larger in size and less restrictive due to the Bi-Swing back. Also the goatskin has softened after wearing it regularly for a few months recently (did not wear it for over 13 years from purchase...)
The A2 horsehide feels stiffer but is only six months old.
I can throw on the G1 and not worry about it. The A2 needs a little bit of adjusting when wearing a sweatshirt underneath, but when it’s on it fits like a glove, I wear it round the house often because I love it so much.
I like the G1 in colder weather and that suits the mouton collar, if I dropped a size maybe I would wear it a little more.
The A2 goes with EVERYTHING and because it is sort of simpler in design it looks less fussy. I have another A2 on order, what can I say...
4B801B29-18E5-490D-90B0-213C80FF7905.jpeg
63758561-9081-49D6-86E4-C1BA8EA42088.jpeg

B-Man2

Cabby
Both jackets look great on you......
So.... you have another A2 on order?
Hmmmm..... sounds like you’re addicted now...;)
Welcome to the club....
Who’s the maker of the A2 on order ?

rob20uk

Hi Everyone,

So in the end I decided to buy all the various combinations.

This week I finally after three attempts over the last year to find the right A2 I found one that fits. It’s the Eastman Star contact. It’s perfect in the sleeves and in the body length.

As for the G-1 I ended up getting three. I got the Eastman G-1. Then I followed the advice on the form and picked up a used military issue one from 1996. It was only £70 and is in fantastic condition other than the knits needing replacement. Absolute bargain. I also got the current mill spec cockpit jacket. This fit is a lot more of a regular fit and is just a good everyday casual jacket.

Anyway I thought I would just say thanks for all your help.

Thanks for all your help.

Last edited:

London Cabbie

Hi Everyone,

So in the end I decided to buy all the various combinations.

This week I finally after three attempts over the last year to find the right A2 I found one that fits. It’s the Eastman Star contact. It’s perfect in the sleeves and in the body length.

As for the G-1 I ended up getting three. I got the Eastman G-1. Then I followed the advice on the form and picked up a used military issue one from 1996. It was only £70 and is in fantastic condition other than the knits needing replacement. Absolute bargain. I also got the current mill spec cockpit jacket. This fit is a lot more of a regular fit and is just a good everyday casual jacket.

Anyway I thought I would just say thanks for all your help.

Thanks for all your help.
Photos, photos, photos NOT (thumbnails) @B-Man2 ;)

AlexLutov

I have a ELC G1.

I love it.

However because of this forum I have purchased my first A2, Seal Dubow from Platon. The A2 fits me perfect and is a little more restrictive than the G1, which are both size 42. The G1 size is a tiny bit larger in size and less restrictive due to the Bi-Swing back. Also the goatskin has softened after wearing it regularly for a few months recently (did not wear it for over 13 years from purchase...)
The A2 horsehide feels stiffer but is only six months old.
I can throw on the G1 and not worry about it. The A2 needs a little bit of adjusting when wearing a sweatshirt underneath, but when it’s on it fits like a glove, I wear it round the house often because I love it so much.
I like the G1 in colder weather and that suits the mouton collar, if I dropped a size maybe I would wear it a little more.
The A2 goes with EVERYTHING and because it is sort of simpler in design it looks less fussy. I have another A2 on order, what can I say...View attachment 36728View attachment 36729
Bro, great fit for both jackets!