• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A2 vs G-1 - Whats the more comfortable/practical jacket?

Ed Rooney

No question the G-1 is more comfortable, although the 1999+ USAF-issue A-2 can give it a run for its money.

I wore an Avirex G-1 as my main winter jacket for many years in my early 20's, often with a fleece or a wool sweater underneath. I just didn't have money to spend on coats, so I wore either the G-1, or my Army issue CWU-45.

B-Man2

Interesting conversation with some differing opinions . Earlier in the thread I mentioned that I thought the G-1 was the more comfortable of the two jackets, here’s why I still think that’s true, at least for me anyway . I base my opinion on how the two jackets feel to me when I’m sitting or driving in my vehicle. The A2 jackets I own, which are predominantly sizes 46 or 48 have a tendency to blouse out on me in the stomach and chest area if I have them zipped up while I’m driving. The G-1 because it doesn’t normally blouse out and is trimmer in those areas doesn’t do that . Secondly the A2 jacket sleeves always ride up when driving. This is a trait of the jacket that’s been mentioned here on several occasions. Because of the expanding vented back of the G-1 jacket it allows for great freedom of movement and the sleeves don’t ride up . Once again it’s just a personal choice but that’s why I choose the G-1 as being a bit more comfortable between the two .
Cheers

Chandler

Interesting that anyone hasn't mentioned the handwarmer pockets yet.
Hmm? Neither original versions, or military contracts, of the G-1 or A-2 have handwarmers.

Maybe the modern, Gen-X inspired models, and mall jacket models (and Schott) have them, but nothing from the 30s thru the 50s issued to service members.

mulceber

Hmm? Neither original versions, or military contracts, of the G-1 or A-2 have handwarmers.

Building on that, I recall hearing that the brass didn’t think soldiers standing around with their hands in their pockets looked disciplined enough, so that’s why very few flight jackets prior to the B-15 had hand-warmer pockets. I never heard it confirmed though, so who knows.

Chandler

Building on that, I recall hearing that the brass didn’t think soldiers standing around with their hands in their pockets looked disciplined enough, so that’s why very few flight jackets prior to the B-15 had hand-warmer pockets. I never heard it confirmed though, so who knows.
And then there's the Winter Combat Jacket. Maybe it was okay in the winter season? ;)

You also see a lot of pics of A-2 wearers with their hands in trouser pockets. Probably draftees. :D

London Cabbie

Interesting conversation with some differing opinions . Earlier in the thread I mentioned that I thought the G-1 was the more comfortable of the two jackets, here’s why I still think that’s true, at least for me anyway . I base my opinion on how the two jackets feel to me when I’m sitting or driving in my vehicle. The A2 jackets I own, which are predominantly sizes 46 or 48 have a tendency to blouse out on me in the stomach and chest area if I have them zipped up while I’m driving. The G-1 because it doesn’t normally blouse out and is trimmer in those areas doesn’t do that . Secondly the A2 jacket sleeves always ride up when driving. This is a trait of the jacket that’s been mentioned here on several occasions. Because of the expanding vented back of the G-1 jacket it allows for great freedom of movement and the sleeves don’t ride up . Once again it’s just a personal choice but that’s why I choose the G-1 as being a bit more comfortable between the two .
Cheers
Agree.

FreddyF9

You’re right. Back then, keeping your hands in your pockets was considered a lazy behavior and also a bit rude.
I remember that also my grandpa used to scold me whenever I putted my hands in my pockets, he kept saying that: “It makes you look like a slacker”.

Micawber

You’re right. Back then, keeping your hands in your pockets was considered a lazy behavior and also a bit rude.
I remember that also my grandpa used to scold me whenever I putted my hands in my pockets, he kept saying that: “It makes you look like a slacker”.

Oh yes, my parents were the same and always stressed the importance of polished shoes and clean fingernails.