• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A2 vs G-1 - Whats the more comfortable/practical jacket?

rob20uk

So the bottom line is whats the more comfortable/practical jacket?

I have a 55J14 G-1 from Eastman and love the jacket. It's a perfect fit, really comfortable and not restrictive in any way. I am possibly looking at getting an A2 and before I take the plunge I have decided to ask for some advice from the experts.

My main question is around comfort and practicality between the A2 and the G-1. Would you guys select one over the other? If you have both do you find yourself always picking one op over the other? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Also I already have an Aero Highwayman in brown so is getting an A2 overkill?

The A2 I am looking at buying would be the Rough Wear Contract 27752, so if any of you can give any specific advice on that I would be massively appreciative.

Looking forward to your thoughts.

R

MikeyB-17

I don’t think there’s much doubt that the extra features of a G-1 makes for a more practical design, with its bi-swing back, useful inside pocket and fur collar with throat latch-although I find that can vary on the mouton used, I’ve had G-1’s with quite rough fur which I found quite uncomfortable. I like the way a G-1 waistband is designed to blouse rather than the jacket itself when zipped up, and I find the rayon/nylon lining of the G-1 nicer to wear. I also think the G-1 is a bit more forgiving if you don’t have the physique of a 1940’s recruit. That having been said, the A-2 is a classic design, and if you get the right one is hard to beat in the style stakes. Don’t forget that if the fur collar doesn’t suit you, there’s always the AN-J-3.

Brettafett

Have to agree with the above. A-2 for me is the first love, but the bi-swing of the M-422as and G-1s make them super comfortable to wear. I do find the mouton collar niggles me when its warm, so can only wear these when its a bit cooler out. A-2s I can wear almost anytime, in anything! Driving a car, or actually flying a plane...? if its not too warm, G-1 maybe.
If I only had only one choice? A-2

I will be posting pics and comments on my BK RW23380 tonight, so check it out! Epic jacket! Super happy.

B-Man2

Hi
I’m in agreement with all of the above posters that the G-1 or 422 is the more comfortable of the two jackets. As John mentioned the A2 is a classic however. So here’s my suggestion if you can only afford one jacket take a look at the AN-J3 repro. It’s the best of both worlds. It gives you the comfort of a bi-swing back but with the classic leather collar.

3E2954FA-FCA6-49C4-A7FE-F87A442772F9.jpeg

mulceber

Good point about the ANJ, but.... its just not an A-2 ;)

I think ideally, one would want at least two A-2s, seal and russet, an M422/a, a G-1, a B-10 or B-15 and a Tanker.

Don’t forget a shearling jacket! I love my B-3, although I acknowledge that in many ways it has the same problem as the A-2: really cool looking, but more cumbersome to wear. Maybe an AN-J-4 or an Irvin would be better for the “I’m only gonna get one” scenario.

Jorgeenriqueaguilera

Totally agree with @daw, the G-1 is more practical and comfortable, I have both and always choose the G-1 over the A-2, nothing wrong about the A-2 though, but since you already have a 55J14, you should try the A-2. Diversity is always good! ;)

rob20uk

Thanks Guys, all very interesting.

I guess I need to pull the trigger and buy an A2. I have a lot more experience with jacket measurements now so getting a perfect fit A2 should not be an issue.

As a side note I have the Aero RAF flying jacket so I have the shearling jacket covered :)

galvestonokie

Totally agree the best of both worlds is the ANJ3. Since I live in a tropical area, i have taken a G-1 to the tailor and had the fur collar replaced with leather (goat). not a big operation, just get a piece of goat that matches your jacket color and proper size. The tailor removes the collar, removes the top (fur) part, and replaces the top part with the goat.

ausreenactor

So the bottom line is whats the more comfortable/practical jacket?

I have a 55J14 G-1 from Eastman and love the jacket. It's a perfect fit, really comfortable and not restrictive in any way. I am possibly looking at getting an A2 and before I take the plunge I have decided to ask for some advice from the experts.

My main question is around comfort and practicality between the A2 and the G-1. Would you guys select one over the other? If you have both do you find yourself always picking one op over the other? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Also I already have an Aero Highwayman in brown so is getting an A2 overkill?

The A2 I am looking at buying would be the Rough Wear Contract 27752, so if any of you can give any specific advice on that I would be massively appreciative.

Looking forward to your thoughts.

R

I think a lot of my reasoning is tied to the branch of the Armed Forces that used the jacket. Only ever had one G-1.

Either you're a soldier, or a sailor. ;)