• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A2 Rough Ware by Five Star

Chris 55

I'm going for A2 Rough Ware by Five Star but unsure on which colour to go for or which would be the correct colour.
I have some samples of Shawn in HH but they seem a little thin although they may not I'm not familiar with A2 so any advice welcome.
IMG_20210831_173201.jpg
FB_IMG_1630615923804.jpg

P-47 thunderbolt

Thin is accurate, personally I'd go for the bottom sample colour. In my eyes that looks most accurate. Although I don't have an original roughwear, it looks closer to my BK roughwear and similar to an original aero I've handled.

mulceber

The RW 27752 was primarily made with a medium seal color, so the bottom one (mid-brown?) is what would be most accurate. Shawn seems to have obtained one of the few russet originals however, so if you’re looking for a copy of his original, the reddish brown would be best. Honestly, you could even justify the darkest, if you wanted your jacket to look like a depot re-dye.

B-Man2

Mid brown would be my choice as well . I’ve handled a few originals and currently own one but it’s a depot redye so no help there. But mid brown would be the most accurate of the samples shown.

Edit : just looked at my photos
and it’s not a depot redye .
B08ABF9D-F19C-4D0D-A491-F0EE1628A94F.jpeg
7CBDB567-E60A-4F53-B258-DF835ED4C13A.jpeg
B209EA4D-E0DD-42B3-B2BD-34FC19FE6EF2.jpeg
E2A9E50F-9055-4B28-825D-B16EE11B5D22.jpeg

Last edited:

B-Man2

B-Man2: OD thread looking faded, or the sometimes seen, on this contract, mid brown thread? Nice jacket. I have seen all 3 colors (just not as dark as the dark seal).

Chris 55:
I don't think you will go wrong with any of the choices.

Nice to see pics of the leathers!!! :)
I think it’s mid brown thread that has faded. Almost looks like a dark tan color .

ausreenactor

The older originals will natuatally darken over time so we don't have to assume a re dye. Natural oils and vapours will add to the patina....

CBI

just IMO, a darker brown or even better seal brown seems to work better as a contemporary color for clothing to actually WEAR which is one of my main reasons for preferring seal or anything close. Russet and mid brown can look great and authentic of course but IMO tend to be out of place when worn in 2021. I know, who cares, wear what you like, just say'n.

B-Man2

Great photos !
I’ve just looked thru my Eastman A2 Manual and after looking thru the 5 Rough Wear contracts that were awarded during the war, the 23380 and the 27752 contracts were predominantly mid brown in color . While the 16159 , 18091 and the 1401P contracts were russet in color . I hope that helps .