• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A2 - RM Japan or ELC - off to Japan next month

Simon D

Hello

I used to be a member a few years back.... I am a keen collector of flying jackets and also own and fly a Tiger Moth and a NA Harvard (Texan to the US peeps).

I had two jackets stolen about 8 years ago - an Real McCoy NZ A2 RW and an Eastman Irvin BoB. I still have a Real McCoy B3 (redskin?) - but it is too bulky for the Tiger cockpit.

I am off to Japan next month and could go shopping for another RM A2 RW. Although expensive, if I am there it at least removes the cost of freight and import duty. Or - do I get an ELC A2 RW? If cost were removed (the RM will be around 10% more expensive) - which is the 'better' one to go for and why?

thanks in advance

Simon
https://www.vintageleatherjackets.org/forums/repros.8/create-thread

jeremiah

Welcome.

Between the two Id vote ELC but I do like the RM finish. Guess can’t go wrong with either if price isn’t an issue. Honestly I’d try and find a second hand one of either in good shape. That way you are already on the journey to it looking cool.

I love aero leather’s description of breaking in a jacket.

Bombing IP

I would get an Aero A2 and with the money you saved buy another aircraft . Seriously why do do have to spend that much on an A2 if you read the forum you can see there are many options out there at less money with comparable quality .

BIP

SuinBruin

If $$$ is no object, Real McCoy for sure. Eastman has boosted its authenticity over the past few years but still has some issues IMO -- I can almost always recognize an ELC by their too-narrow sleeve ends (which lead to mushroomed knits -- I think it's an overcorrection for ELC's tunneling problems as notoriously seen on their Pearl Harbor jackets) and very pointed, almost triangular collar ends.

MikeyB-17

I agree with BIP, get an Aero, or look at J.A. Dubow or Bill Kelso, any of which are no less accurate than ELC at a fraction of the over-inflated prices they are charging these days. To be frank, they ain’t worth it. You can do just as well for much less.

Brettafett

Personally, I've had everything... almost. I'd second the above... GW aside... Platon's Ja Dubow27798 is amazing for the price. That BK Dubow 1755 I tried on a while back was the best A-2 repro Ive ever seen (looked and felt like a NOS original).
ELC are great, of course... the RMJ are nice, but don't quite look right imo... The finishes...
RMNZ made amazing jackets. I was there, in the factory and met Paddy before they closed.
If its an ELC or RMJ... Personally Id go ELC, but of course you have to go the RM factory/ shop and check them out... Try the jackets on. If you find one that fits well, and you likes... get it.

jeremiah

Ok I agree. Better go with Aero. Knits in my ELC would be what I would complain about if it didn’t look so cool.

But I have handled an Aero product and they are superb and wonderful leather.

Pilot

Comparing ELC and RMC-Japan...
No hesitation RMC-J.
...all more accurate and recently fantastic hides... grainy and very light...and knits that do not fall appart after a few try-ones.
Tunneling never in a RMC-J provided the size is right...

My little experience with RMC-J.
Sure cheaper alternatives exist... but if you compare a.m... RMC-J.

Brettafett

ELC's knits may not be super robust, but Aero's are not super authentic, unless they've been upgraded in last couple of years.
There are a couple of nice A-2s in RM London store, but like ELC, way overpriced. They are not better or worse, just a different 'take' I guess.
I would agree that there are more affordable options to look at, no less authentic or top-tier quality... depending on what you're looking for.
That said, I tried on a RMJ RW23380 in another place recently that was waaayyyy offf. The leather was red/orangey and shiny and it looked like it belonged in a music video.

I would add that a lot depends on the specific 'contract' you are looking to buy, if that even concerns you... whats suits your body-type, what fits you the best etc...
Whats going to be comfortable to wear in a cockpit or even driving in a car. A sharp, cool looking A-2 may look good, but some patterns are bloody useless when you try lift your arms or move about. All mentioned above have options and the patterns vary. All mentioned above are good purchases. Find what fits best...

Grant

Hey Simon,
I guess it depends what you mean by 'better', but if you're going for accuracy, Eastman Rough Wear 27752 and 1401p contracts are more faithful reproductions than the Real McCoy's Rough Wear. Sure cheaper alternatives exist, but that wasn't your question. BTW, super jealous you're going to be in Japan shopping - I could drop some serious coin on denim if I were there!

Pilot

ELC's knits may not be super robust, but Aero's are not super authentic, unless they've been upgraded in last couple of years.
There are a couple of nice A-2s in RM London store, but like ELC, way overpriced. They are not better or worse, just a different 'take' I guess.
I would agree that there are more affordable options to look at, no less authentic or top-tier quality... depending on what you're looking for.
That said, I tried on a RMJ RW23380 in another place recently that was waaayyyy offf. The leather was red/orangey and shiny and it looked like it belonged in a music video.

I would add that a lot depends on the specific 'contract' you are looking to buy, if that even concerns you... whats suits your body-type, what fits you the best etc...
Whats going to be comfortable to wear in a cockpit or even driving in a car. A sharp, cool looking A-2 may look good, but some patterns are bloody useless when you try lift your arms or move about. All mentioned above have options and the patterns vary. All mentioned above are good purchases. Find what fits best...

Guess its all about experiences...Some of their A-2 ( and others) selling in Japan are superb... and ww2 accurate. Check out the differences in Yahoo- Japan auctions... the quality selling in Japan vs. export...
Prices in Japan ...now spring sales ...are very flexy.
Good luck and enjoy Japan..

.[/QUOTE]

Smithy

If it was me I'd follow BIP's and Mikey's advice and get an Aero in their jerky horse. I love Eastman but their pricing now is utterly ridiculous - one will cost you over 1 and a half times as much as an Aero, and considering that they put their prices up three times last year, by this summer it'll probably be twice as much!

Put the difference towards avgas for the Tiggie.

Pilot

Buying over the net...all am are right....going to Japan seeing, trying, ...and choosing...RMC-J is the best choice...and they have real bargains in som outlets....so RMC-J...IME.

Brettafett

I'd love to go in and try their jackets on. Does anyone know, do they offer long sizes? I assume not. Also, assume mostly or smaller standard sizes...

Pilot

In Japan only regular sizes...but IME, the sleeves are longer than from other prime makers.... Please check the measurements in the adds from buyee.jp or yahoo.jp sales...they show sizing/ measurement diagrams for many jackets offers/adds...there.

Brettafett

Hi Grant, yes... I was there a few weeks ago. They had two if I recall and another variant, Security Togs maybe... Don't recall. And an A-1.
Prices were insane!