• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A2 from QMI: anyone have one?

WingAndaPrayer

Hey gang, does anyone have an A2 from QMI/Debrabander? I’m still doing my due diligence in regards to getting a seal A2. They look good on the website, but we all know how that goes sometimes…
So if anyone has firsthand experience with one of those I would be keen to hear about it.

WingAndaPrayer

you can do better with 5*, aero or a used elc, rmnz, buzz, etc.
I think it’s coming down to either AVI or FiveStar. I’m not willing to pay over $400 for a repro. And I’m big. I need a 52/54 US by virtue of my shoulder size. I take 24 inches across the shoulders for a decent fit in an A2 jacket. There’s no ELC, GW,BK, or any top tier one in that shoulder width on the used pages.

Brettafett

Ive handled QMI in the past, a few years ago, so thing may have changed.
But the leather was very stiff and 'cardboardy'... Lacked character and was not very nice. The A-2 seemed almost like it was copied off a Monarch, but cant confirm that.
The M-422A was the same, and the 'fur' was not great.

AVI and 5*

BTW AVI has thier ANJ-3 arriving soon. Why not email Morten and ask for pics or details. Could be a good call, the best of the A-2 and the best of the G-1. Just saying...
An A-2 is going to feel a bit restrictive, even at the correct size. Its just the design.
I'd recommend a good look at the ANJ, M-422A and G-1. That bi-swing back and rayon lining, just add a level of wearability and comfort.

FlakMagnet

My first A2 was a QMI cowhide, which I ended up moving on after a month or so of receiving it. (I bought an orange label Cooper which I liked better, then bought me an AVI soon after that) Like what @Brettafett said, it was stiff as a board, and the leather had no character, and it creaked and squeaked so much. (i dont really mind the creaking so much, but this one was LOUD and it sounded like I was wearing a leather sofa).

This was a few years ago now though, so the quality of their wares might be different now. I'd personally go with an AVI or a 5* as well though.

Brettafett

Unfortunately not, but I received an email last night to say that the ANJ will hopefully be launched within the next 2 weeks.
Just in time for Autumn.

My very first A-2 was a Cooper, the commemorative Edition with orange label, and I recall it was a neat jacket, the goat was soft, but strong.
So yes, those old Coopers could be a good call, and sometimes a great deal on 'bay.

WingAndaPrayer

Ive handled QMI in the past, a few years ago, so thing may have changed.
But the leather was very stiff and 'cardboardy'... Lacked character and was not very nice. The A-2 seemed almost like it was copied off a Monarch, but cant confirm that.
The M-422A was the same, and the 'fur' was not great.

AVI and 5*

BTW AVI has thier ANJ-3 arriving soon. Why not email Morten and ask for pics or details. Could be a good call, the best of the A-2 and the best of the G-1. Just saying...
An A-2 is going to feel a bit restrictive, even at the correct size. Its just the design.
I'd recommend a good look at the ANJ, M-422A and G-1. That bi-swing back and rayon lining, just add a level of wearability and comfort.
How does the AVI horse hide leather quality compare to the FiveStar?

WingAndaPrayer

It looks like QMI has oil pull horse hide now. There was a guy on Facebook with an A1 in oil pull

9D01D5A9-720F-4E03-B6EA-FB39DC98501A.png

Blackboxr1200S

Hello,

New on board here
Been cruising this forum for quite a while but for some reason, I wasn't able to receive my confirmation email, so all I could do was read and drool. ( man, you got some great pictures)

I've been collecting US WWII stuff for quite a while and sort of drifted off into USAAF, and eventually ended up looking for an A-2 to wear myself.
Had no clue about all the repro jacket makers that were around and living in Belgium, QMI was the first one I came about.

To each his own, but (for now) I cannot bring myself to buy a 1000 or 1500€ jacket, rather spend that money on an original piece of WWII history.

But the QMI A-2 Indeed Monarch based, real heavy horsehide.
First picture shows it out of the box, stiff as a board, but since temperatures dropped here, so been wearing it quite a lot since begin september.
Jacket is loosening up nicely and I enjoy wearing it.
Love my jackets comfy, that slim thing looks good, but I love this thing as it fits me now.

Like collecting military stuff, this A-2 bug bites you and the more you read about it, the more interesting it gets.

So not much later, the nice Fivestar 1939 Werber Sportswear in seal brown HH, joined the family. (That Shawn guy rocks! )

So here it is, my first time post!

As said... great to be on board

Peter

A2 after.jpg
A2 before.jpg

IMG_20220913_230708.jpg

IMG_20220926_161848.jpg
IMG_20220926_161858.jpg

WingAndaPrayer

Hello,

New on board here
Been cruising this forum for quite a while but for some reason, I wasn't able to receive my confirmation email, so all I could do was read and drool. ( man, you got some great pictures)

I've been collecting US WWII stuff for quite a while and sort of drifted off into USAAF, and eventually ended up looking for an A-2 to wear myself.
Had no clue about all the repro jacket makers that were around and living in Belgium, QMI was the first one I came about.

To each his own, but (for now) I cannot bring myself to buy a 1000 or 1500€ jacket, rather spend that money on an original piece of WWII history.

But the QMI A-2 Indeed Monarch based, real heavy horsehide.
First picture shows it out of the box, stiff as a board, but since temperatures dropped here, so been wearing it quite a lot since begin september.
Jacket is loosening up nicely and I enjoy wearing it.
Love my jackets comfy, that slim thing looks good, but I love this thing as it fits me now.

Like collecting military stuff, this A-2 bug bites you and the more you read about it, the more interesting it gets.

So not much later, the nice Fivestar 1939 Werber Sportswear in seal brown HH, joined the family. (That Shawn guy rocks! )

So here it is, my first time post!

As said... great to be on board

Peter

View attachment 84087View attachment 84086

View attachment 84088
View attachment 84089View attachment 84090
So the jacket you are wearing is the russet horse hide QMI?

CBI

not too shabby at all!!! and as I always mention, once a jacket gets well worn, it makes a HUGE difference