• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A2 different contracts

mulceber

Welcome aboard!

Yep, 4+ months, and that’s actually not bad for original contract reproductions. Bill Kelso is at 6+ months and Goodwear is up to 2 years.

Aero and Eastman Leather are among the shortest waits out there. I’m sure you’ll have another good experience with Ken, if you decide to go that route.

Thanks for your reply! I am wondering about the weight of the A2 Aero jacket -- the Hooch Hauler is a great jacket but the Horse Hide (Italian) is quite heavy. Do most prefer the heavy horse hides for their A2 or something lighter? I noted Aero offers jackets in "mid-weight". So many options for a beginner like myself.

Welcome aboard!

Yep, 4+ months, and that’s actually not bad for original contract reproductions. Bill Kelso is at 6+ months and Goodwear is up to 2 years.

Aero and Eastman Leather are among the shortest waits out there. I’m sure you’ll have another good experience with Ken, if you decide to go that route.

Thanks for your reply! I am wondering about the weight of the A2 Aero jacket -- the Hooch Hauler is a great jacket but the Horse Hide (Italian) is quite heavy. Do most prefer the heavy horse hides for their A2 or something lighter? I noted Aero offers jackets in "mid-weight". So many options for a beginner like myself.
I'll make some inquiries at Aero -- they were terrific to deal with.

mulceber

I think the general agreement is that the most accurate leather Aero offers for A-2 jackets is their jerky horsehide. I haven’t handled the hooch hauler, so I’m not really sure what the relative weight is, but from your description, I suspect jerky HH would be a bit lighter.

London Cabbie

What contract was issued the most

What contract was issued least

What contract was ‘liked’ the most

What contract is most highly prized by collectors...?

Thankyou.

stanier

No its not. Apparently only in the sup'd up version. But who knows... down the line maybe. One could ask the same question about the RW23380.
Regs their Dubow though, why would one pay over a grand for that, nice enough jacket that it is... when you can get a BK 1755 for a lot less and a Platon for way less than half that... Plus, I don't think the pockets look that great.
View attachment 24423

Personally I prefer the ELC. I also like their customer service without the vagaries of the other options. Having said that, and whilst I may well investigate an ELC Dubow at some point, my next A-2 will almost certainly be an Aero.

London Cabbie

Just had a try on at Real Mcoys. Tried the house A2 & Roughwear. The fella was really helpful. The house felt comfortable straight away. The roughwear felt a bit loose around the torso. I was not able to get fit photos just labels.

Attachments

• E9908BE6-7165-4912-85B3-CB590A2B6970.jpeg
    E9908BE6-7165-4912-85B3-CB590A2B6970.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 152
  • 68C56976-58E6-42F1-A4E4-DD93B3220735.jpeg
    68C56976-58E6-42F1-A4E4-DD93B3220735.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 170

Brettafett

I also have a BK RW23380 on order. 42 with added length.
The RW pattern is a bit different from the Dubow, slightly wider shoulders, but the torso fit is quite similar... I found the McCoy 42 to be an ok fit, the 40 looked ok, but I could hardly move. Both jackets felt a touch short for me, the 40 more so.

London Cabbie

The Leather on the Roughwear was horsehide and it felt really thick and stiff almost if it would stand up by itself. The house model was softer leather with shorter and smaller width epaulets and more pronounced western style pocket flaps. When I first got my Eastman G1, that felt really stiff and has softened right up in places. I can see how sizing and fit is important. Does the JA Dubow come up slimmer. For example his sizing said I should go 40, but forum advise 42...?

Brettafett

The Dubow is slightly trimmer in the shoulders... that's the pattern. The body/ torso would be very similar in fit the the RW, though the RW tends to be slightly more boxy.
Its tricky with the thicker horse, it makes the jacket feel trimmer than it is.
Also, I'd say this... my Platon Dubiow 42 fits me very well, there is some room in the torso - nature of the pattern. The RM RW 40 was too tight for me, esp under the arms... It fir, but I would never wear it. The 42 fit pretty good as I recall, comfy, but it was a touch 'boxy'... And needed length.
Platon's Dubow's leather is nowhere near the thickness of these, it also has more grain and character... On another level.

London Cabbie

Grant that really helps. Brett I agree with the stiff leather definitely feels slimming, my G1 was like that till it loosened up.

London Cabbie

sleeve shrinkage through creasing is really interesting... I have not experienced this with goatskin btw.
Denim jacket would give you ballpark. Pattern and cut aside, denim drapes a lot differently to horsehide.

Your G-1 is a 40 right? My guess would be a 42 in most high-end A-2s (maybe a 40 in Roughwear or House models)... I can get away with a 40 long with most ELC A-2s, 42 is more comfy in some models, with a bit of room to layer (but I don't really layer), Platon's and Bill Kelso's jackets are a 42 for me. I had an original WW2 A-2 in a 42, which was a perfect fit.

Defo get to Real McCoys (or Clutch Cafe), they have RM Roughwear A-2s in 40, 42 and 44 to try on. Then go to pop-up, not long to wait, and try on jackets.
Bear in mind, two different contracts may have the same general measurements, but may fit/ feel quite different. Different patterns/cuts suit different body-types, better or worse.
Some work better for trimmer blokes, some work well for blokes with a broader frame, you are lucky you get to visit the pop-up and try on.

BTW check the measurements listed here for ELC jackets, they are pretty good, as a reference - www.historypreservation.com/products-page/original-maker/

I just tried on the BR Roughwear in Clutch Cafe only had size 44. Tried it on had the blood chit on back. Obviously WAY too large, just like the price...

Last edited:

London Cabbie

Hi Fellas.
I have a question about Collar Stands, what function do they serve and why were they discontinued so early on...?