• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A2 different contracts

Bombing IP

In my opinion the Platon Dubow is one of the best offerings out there in all categories , you have just jumped the learning curve by five years . Also you have saved yourself a lot of money buying jackets that are not let's say period correct . Now the wait begins do not expect emails on progress it will take months but will be worth it .

Re charms four leaf clover ,Grant posted about them a little while back !.

Jeff

mulceber

e charms four leaf clover ,Grant posted about them a little while back !.

Also, I think dice on a key chain were used?

Agreed on the wait. You might find yourself worrying and wondering why you haven't heard from Platon. Don't panic. He (Bill Kelso is the same way) will be extremely uncommunicative, but the jacket you get on the other side (about 4 months wait right now, iirc) will be fantastic.

London Cabbie

you have just jumped the learning curve by five years

That wouldn’t have happened without coming on here thanks to all the advice. I am a little fraught, as I ordered a size 40 and then contacted Platon via the company communication on webpage to say I want to change to size 42... hopefully the changes are made to the order.

4 MONTH WAIT!!! What am I going to do in the meantime...

again Thankyou fellas

mulceber

I am a little fraught, as I ordered a size 40 and then contacted Platon via the company communication on webpage to say I want to change to size 42... hopefully the changes are made to the order.

I would say, if you don’t hear confirmation in a week, email him to make sure he updated the order. And if he doesn’t respond, keep emailing him once a week until you hear back.

Micawber

Five pages later and I think you have made a good choice if Platon's sizing will work for you. Wise words about sizing up, I'm a 44" and bought a new 44" that Platon was offloading on Ebay, while it was wearable it was rather snug so I passed it on to my son.

One thing to bear in mind: These were issue garments back in the day, you got what you were given. While you might swap gear with your mates unless you were way up in the ranks there was little likelihood of browsing the rails in the QM stores along with trial fittings looking for that elusive jacket that felt just right ;)

MikeyB-17

Yeah, there were lucky dice, usually attached to the zipper pull, which you can pick up on Ebay. In the CBI theatre local coins with holes in were also used as zip pullers. Again probably to be found on Ebay, but for a good job you want period correct ones, not any old Far Eastern coinage.

London Cabbie

Pop-ups are dangerous... All this talk of A-2s and he will walk out with an A-2 and a B-10.

It’s just a bloody shame the weathers turned warm...

Smithy

I think you've chosen very well. Those Platon ones look (and apparently are) as good as anything from ELC, BK, GW, etc, etc, and you've just saved yourself a sizable wad of cash which you can put towards another jacket, a holiday with the missus - doesn't hurt to butter her up if you're planning on expanding from one jacket ;-)

I was tempted by one of these but being 6'2'' and there being no long/tall sizings there was no way I could get the sleeve and body length I need without it being bin liner in the body fit.

stanier

Mate, ELC has recently released a special edition Dubow 1755, which is essentially the same as the earlier 27798 Dubow pattern. However all these companies, although copying original WW2 jackets, all have their own 'take' on the jacket, so there may be slight variations. I recon that 1755 will be at the pop-up, but doubt there will be one to try on.
I would say try ELC's Monarch and Star A-2s for a fit similar to a Dubow.
The Dubow has an interesting cut, its actually very comfortable and wearable (by that I mean, you can actually wear it an not feel constricted, esp coming from a G-1)... It has slightly narrower shoulders, but opens up in the torso.

Is the ELC Dubow 1755 available non-pre-painted yet does anyone know?

I like the idea of “opens up in the torso”; a beer drinkers A-2! ;)

London Cabbie

I think you've chosen very well. Those Platon ones look (and apparently are) as good as anything from ELC, BK, GW, etc, etc, and you've just saved yourself a sizable wad of cash which you can put towards another jacket, a holiday with the missus - doesn't hurt to butter her up if you're planning on expanding from one jacket ;-)

I was tempted by one of these but being 6'2'' and there being no long/tall sizings there was no way I could get the sleeve and body length I need without it being bin liner in the body fit.
Thankyou. I had lots of posts that pointed me that direction. I ordered a 40” but changed to a 42” based on others experience. Hoping the order gets amended but have not heard from Platon yet...The advice here has been invaluable. Will go to the pop up but leave my cards at home.

Smithy

Thankyou. I had lots of posts that pointed me that direction. I ordered a 40” but changed to a 42” based on others experience. Hoping the order gets amended but have not heard from Platon yet...The advice here has been invaluable. Will go to the pop up but leave my cards at home.

Very wise!

Brettafett

Is the ELC Dubow 1755 available non-pre-painted yet does anyone know?
No its not. Apparently only in the sup'd up version. But who knows... down the line maybe. One could ask the same question about the RW23380.
Regs their Dubow though, why would one pay over a grand for that, nice enough jacket that it is... when you can get a BK 1755 for a lot less and a Platon for way less than half that... Plus, I don't think the pockets look that great.
ELC Dubow 1755.png

Skanstull

I'm sort of wondering at this point if Platon's company isn't just quietly a subsidiary of BK - a convoluted way for them to offer a budget line.

Didn't you write somewhere else that your BK jackets were delivered by Hellenic Post (the state owned postal company of Greece)... so if BK is shipped from Greece, this makes sense.

Bombing IP

No its not. Apparently only in the sup'd up version. But who knows... down the line maybe. One could ask the same question about the RW23380.
Regs their Dubow though, why would one pay over a grand for that, nice enough jacket that it is... when you can get a BK 1755 for a lot less and a Platon for way less than half that... Plus, I don't think the pockets look that great.
View attachment 24423

Yes the pockets look goofy and the price its been said before .

Jeff

mulceber

Didn't you write somewhere else that your BK jackets were delivered by Hellenic Post (the state owned postal company of Greece)... so if BK is shipped from Greece, this makes sense.

I’m not quite following...yes, BK and Platon’s Dubow are both Greek companies, so it makes sense that they'd use Hellenic Post.

Last edited:

Skanstull

I’m not quite following...yes, BK and Platon’s Dubow are both Greek companies, so it makes sense that they'd use Hellenic Post.
Ah, got it - I thought BK was UK based and that Platon had left BK to 'go home to Greece'... I didn't know BK was Greek. So is Andy Falzon living in Greece? I see the contact details on the BK website is pointing to a UK address.

mulceber

Ah, got it - I thought BK was UK based and that Platon had left BK to 'go home to Greece'... I didn't know BK was Greek. So is Andy Falzon living in Greece? I see the contact details on the BK website is pointing to a UK address.

Ah, ok, I understand now. Yeah, I seem to recall hearing that BK presents themselves as British because they think people will more readily buy from British jacket makers than from Greek ones. I’m pretty sure Andy operates in Greece and the jackets are definitely made there.

Edit: here’s a google map photo of the address they list for the UK. They might have a mailbox there, but it doesn’t look like they really have an office.

Attachments

• AB19C7AC-0D75-458E-A432-AFAF37030212.jpeg
    AB19C7AC-0D75-458E-A432-AFAF37030212.jpeg
    834.2 KB · Views: 270
Last edited:
Hello everyone! This is my first post.. I've been checking out this thread and I've also emailed jadubowmfg.com for information on their sizing. Is the wait time really 4+ months??

This is my first A2 jacket also.

I'm also considering the Aero version of the A2 as I already purchased a Hooch Hauler from them, with great results!