• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A2 different contracts

London Cabbie

Thankyou for that Mulceber.
Last night I was going through all the recommendations for sizing on his website. Everything pointed to size 40, however checking some threads on the forum seems everyone seems to size up. I can only go on my measurements and Eastman G1size 40. Which is a perfect fit but ever slightly roomy. I have changed therefore to a size 42. Your picture helps, the jacket looks fairly new, how long have you had it and how do often do you wear it. How do you treat it everyday wear or special occasions...?

Brettafett

Have to agree with the above.
Think you made the right call. As you know, I am also a 40" chest and was also recommended to go for a 40 by manufacturer... So very glad I got the 42. Its my current fav and I wear with a T-shirt.
I could put a light sweater under, but it would then feel quite snug.
Could never have worn a 40. I actually tried on a BK Dubow 1755 (essentially exactly the same as 27798), and it was too tight. No way Jose.
Looking forward to pics when you get it.

mulceber

Your picture helps, the jacket looks fairly new, how long have you had it and how do often do you wear it. How do you treat it everyday wear or special occasions...?

Yeah, everyone tells me it looks new - it’s actually about a year old. I wear it several times a week, and don’t baby it, but since it’s made of Badalassi cowhide, which might as well be Kevlar, it still looks basically new. I agree with Brettafett’s experience: it’s great if I wear a t-shirt under it, but I can also wear a very light sweater under it, if the weather calls for it. I don't think you'll regret going for a 42. A roomy A-2 is like a fitted jacket of any other type. And if you decide that you want the next A-2 jacket that you get to be even more fitted, I still don't think you'll regret having a 42 in your rotation.

Last edited:

mulceber

Good looking jacket.

Thanks! I’m hoping it’ll eventually start to take on the character of some of the great A-2s I see on here, but in the meantime I actually don’t mind the look of a new jacket.

Last night I was going through all the recommendations for sizing on his website.

Just curious, but which company did you order from? My guess was Platon (Dubow mfg. co.), but for all I know, you could have ordered a Dubow from Bill Kelso, or even Goodwear.

London Cabbie

Pl
Thanks! I’m hoping it’ll eventually start to take on the character of some of the great A-2s I see on here, but in the meantime I actually don’t mind the look of a new jacket.

Just curious, but which company did you order from? My guess was Platon (Dubow mfg. co.), but for all I know, you could have ordered a Dubow from Bill Kelso, or even Goodwear.
I ordered a Platon Dubow A2. But payment was in the name on Bill Kelso? are they part of same company...?

mulceber

I ordered a Platon Dubow A2. But payment was in the name on Bill Kelso? are they part of same company...?

Wow, that seems really weird to me. Platon used to work for BK, but then split off (amicably) in order to start his own company specializing in the Dubows. When you buy from him you're basically buying a BK at half the price but with slightly less fancy leathers and without any customization options. I don't know why the payment would be in BK's name though...

Brettafett

Hahaha Welcome to the big mystery. No one really knows. Ive stopped caring and only want a good jacket...
Originally Bill Kelso was helmed by both Andy and Platon. Its seems Platon went and started JaDubowmfg offering the exact same jacket, albeit using an alternative horsehide to the Liberty Bill Kelso uses.
I have both a seal Dubow from Platon and one from Andy, theres a thread about where Ive taken pics of them together. They are almost identical. The Bill Kelso has a touch more length (requested) and has mid brown knit as opposed to the rust.
Both jacket are fantastic.
Platons jackets - Only the 27798 contract, standard sizes in seal or russet. No modifications. No returns.
BK's jackets - A number of contract options, allow slight modifications, adding length etc, seal, dark seal and russet Liberty, various thread, lining and knit options, I guess one can return a std size unmodified jacket... Not sure.

Brettafett

I'm sort of wondering at this point if Platon's company isn't just quietly a subsidiary of BK - a convoluted way for them to offer a budget line.
Considered same.
Regs these two:
If a std size jacket and components as offered work for you, great, no need to look elsewhere for a top-tier jacket. Big win!
If you're after options and require some tweaking, then go BK. Pay more, but get options.
Otherwise the jackets are the same, and both leathers are great!