• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A2 different contracts

London Cabbie

Mate, ELC has recently released a special edition Dubow 1755, which is essentially the same as the earlier 27798 Dubow pattern. However all these companies, although copying original WW2 jackets, all have their own 'take' on the jacket, so there may be slight variations. I recon that 1755 will be at the pop-up, but doubt there will be one to try on.
I would say try ELC's Monarch and Star A-2s for a fit similar to a Dubow.
The Dubow has an interesting cut, its actually very comfortable and wearable (by that I mean, you can actually wear it an not feel constricted, esp coming from a G-1)... It has slightly narrower shoulders, but opens up in the torso. If any ELC jacket fits well, note the size and then take those measurements down (I sometimes remember to bring a tape measure). The gents will help, they are great guys and always up for a chat.
You can then, as Tim said, do some homework. Check with Platon for measurements of his jackets, that compare (most guys may go one size up for best fit with these).
At least you're doing due diligence. You can always order an ELC later again, and if so, may want some length added to account for creasing that often develops at the elbows and under the armpits after wearing in (you will lose 0.5 to 1 inch in sleeve length), and having sleeves ride up to the elbows when you drive aint very nice. Again, this is a personal thing.
When trying on a jacket, lift your arms to shoulder height, and consider how the jacket feels... You may notice some jackets may pull more or less than others...
Besides the Monarch and Star, make sure you try the Roughwears and ELC's House model, which has a slightly fuller cut and is said to be very comfortable. You may just walk out with one ;)

Regs Real McCoy, I don't recall all the sizes in stock, likely not larger than 44 or 46, but its worth a look-see. Will give you some bearing when you handle Eastman''s jackets, you will notice the differences.
The RM jackets are nice enough, details are there, but the leathers are thick and lack character... Check for your self.

BTW - Clutch Cafe also has a couple of A-2s. Real McCoy also I think. Another great spot to pop in and check out. American Classics used to have ELC and BK A-2s, but now only civilian jackets I think.
Great to see Bill Kelso's Liberty hides. BK is another option. I received my first BK a couple of months back and its a fantastic jacket, well worth every penny. They have a lot of options also.
Wow, Thankyou
Will be taking a tape measure, and the advice about sleeve shrinkage through creasing is really interesting...As I only have a G1 to go on, for the A2 should I take initial measurements from a denim jacket...? Maybe not body length.

Brettafett

sleeve shrinkage through creasing is really interesting... I have not experienced this with goatskin btw.
Denim jacket would give you ballpark. Pattern and cut aside, denim drapes a lot differently to horsehide.

Your G-1 is a 40 right? My guess would be a 42 in most high-end A-2s (maybe a 40 in Roughwear or House models)... I can get away with a 40 long with most ELC A-2s, 42 is more comfy in some models, with a bit of room to layer (but I don't really layer), Platon's and Bill Kelso's jackets are a 42 for me. I had an original WW2 A-2 in a 42, which was a perfect fit.

Defo get to Real McCoys (or Clutch Cafe), they have RM Roughwear A-2s in 40, 42 and 44 to try on. Then go to pop-up, not long to wait, and try on jackets.
Bear in mind, two different contracts may have the same general measurements, but may fit/ feel quite different. Different patterns/cuts suit different body-types, better or worse.
Some work better for trimmer blokes, some work well for blokes with a broader frame, you are lucky you get to visit the pop-up and try on.

BTW check the measurements listed here for ELC jackets, they are pretty good, as a reference - www.historypreservation.com/products-page/original-maker/

Bombing IP

he A2 if made of horsehide can feel a little restrictive new but one broken in and molded to your body shape it fits like a glove .An A2 made of goatskin is good from the get go but will not deliver the best character in regards to the creasing or graining over the long run. The A 1 jacket made out of capeskin feel like your wearing a cardigan . Check out Good Wears site and read about what he says about the fit of each contract its very interesting and will highlight the differences cut shap fit etc .Re Eastman jackets get the size re the pop up shop and buy one used ,let someone else do the breaking in for you and save 60+%. Take a tape measure and a pen and pad and when you find the jacket that fits perfectly write down the measurements that will be your guide because the size label inside the jacket does not mean anything especially between different manufacturers .

Another poor soul lost on the perfect A-2 Type trail holy grail .

Jeff

This has been taken from the Good Wear Site and is very helpful deciding which jacket is for you ,there are reviews on all the contracts

The body pattern is quite similar to the later 27798 shape, with the torso being just a tiny bit trimmer. This pattern works best with a relatively athletic physique, though larger sizes in originals have much wider bodies from the chest down. The collar shape is quite different than later Dubows, with a larger collar that has a crescent shape, like Werber or Rough Wear.
s.gif

A number of these Dubow 20960 A-2 can be seen in photos of the Doolittle Raider crews. The position of the pocket near the wind flap is the first detail one can find (note Links page for photos). Jimmy Doolittle is wearing one.
s.gif

Details of this contract:
  • russet or seal horsehide/cowhide
  • slender torso and wide, comfortable sleeve tops
  • strong, square shoulder design
  • collar stand
  • wide epaulets with large x-stitching
  • dull orange lining and dark brown cotton thread
  • ball stud snaps
  • dull mid-brown or golden brown knits
  • originals were made with Crown zippers
This jacket is trim, but if sized right, very comfortable.
s.gif

» Click here for photographs of a size 44 J.A. Dubow 20960 A-2 flight jacket made with seal brown horsehide.
s.gif

Available sizes: 36 – 48 only.
s.gif

Pricing:

A-2 Dubow 20960 jacket: new horsehide$1,549.00 USD
A-2 Dubow 20960 jacket: cowhide$1,449.00 USD
Visa Mastercard PayPal Bank Check
s.gif

Please contact us for more information about this J.A. Dubow W535-ac-20960 Type A-2 through our e-mail: [email protected].
s.gif
s.gif
Taken from Good Wear

Jeff

s.gif

s.gif

Last edited:

Micawber

This thread is fizzing! Welcome London Cabbie. Lots of good advice here, I'll just chip in and say don't mollycoddle the jacket, wear it in all weathers and while doing a variety of things. If it gets wet let it dry out naturally, never be tempted to stick it in front of a radiator as the result is likely to spoil your day;)

Alka Seltzer.jpg

Fizzing - get it?

Bombing IP

Re the sizes I should of said .You need Pit to pit front and back ,shoulder seam to shoulder seam,sleeve length including knit measured top of sleeve ,bottom of the collar to bottom of the knitted hem down the back .

Jeff

mulceber

I’ll also add, be prepared to trust in the expertise of others when it comes to fit. When I first tried on an A-2, my immediate reaction was “it’s too small!” Turned out I just wasn’t used to the way an A-2 jacket is supposed to fit you. It takes a little while to get acclimated to these jackets, so in the meantime, it’s worth taking some pictures of yourself wearing the various jackets at the pop-up (maybe bring along a friend or spouse who can take the pictures), and get guidance from the people on here.

Skanstull

W
Re the sizes I should of said .You need Pit to pit front and back ,shoulder seam to shoulder seam,sleeve length including knit measured top of sleeve ,bottom of the collar to bottom of the knitted hem down the back .

Jeff
With regards to the measurement and fit of an A-2, how much extra room are you looking for in the chest? I believe Charles at HPA advise on 3” or more probably 4” inches - everyone agree on that?

mulceber

My chest measurement is exactly 40", and the dubow (size 42) I have has a pit-to-pit of 22.5. So that would be 5 inches of space. That fits me quite well, but 3-4 inches wouldn't be bad either.

Brettafett

Generally speaking, yes. I'd say it depends on the cut/ pattern of the jacket though.
I'm also 40 chest and have a 42 Dubow, perfect fit. But, I have also had jackets with a 21.5 pit to pit (front) that fit snug, but still very comfy.
Dubow's front panel is slightly wider than the back (but its still works), whereas most other A-2s the back panel is around 0.5" wider than the front... Ifs buts and ands ;)

Brettafett

I did not know that - thanks!
Im totally under correction btw, but that's my understanding.
Would be interested to hear your opinion. When you get a chance, compare your front zipped up, and your back - pit to pit!
My Dubow has front and back panels almost identical... Will check again this evening ;)

Bombing IP

I’ll also add, be prepared to trust in the expertise of others when it comes to fit. When I first tried on an A-2, my immediate reaction was “it’s too small!” Turned out I just wasn’t used to the way an A-2 jacket is supposed to fit you. It takes a little while to get acclimated to these jackets, so in the meantime, it’s worth taking some pictures of yourself wearing the various jackets at the pop-up (maybe bring along a friend or spouse who can take the pictures), and get guidance from the people on here.

I 100% agree with the above , getting an A2 type to fit and acclimating to the cut and style can be difficult without guidance .We are here to help and guide .

Jeff

London Cabbie

After two days in I’ve just ordered a Dubow Seal Brown with BerryRed cuffs and hems if possible. I ordered correct size for regular 40” chest I don’t want too loose just enough for a T-shirt or shirt underneath. As excited as you all were ordering your first A2...

mulceber

Ooh, is it a Platon Dubow?

I’m a little worried about the size, as I have a 40” chest like you and find that a size 42 Dubow is perfect for a t-shirt. You’ll probably have a very fitted jacket at size 40. Might be worth emailing the manufacturer and just asking them if they would recommend the current size or going up one. But I’m pretty confident that it’ll fit you - it just might be tighter than you want.

Here’s a picture of me in my jacket for reference.

Attachments

• CBDB2484-2917-413D-8A33-4DE450B48D6F.jpeg
    CBDB2484-2917-413D-8A33-4DE450B48D6F.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 381
Last edited: