• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A2 CONTRACT DATES-UP-DATED

Carl

Seeing you’re writing a book – not an easy task! - the least I can do is offer unbridled encouragement. :)
After looking at the link you attached , i still think my book would serve better ,as that data base falls far short of what i had hoped to find . But ill not be thwarted ! Im going to keep bashing away at it !! :)

2BM2K

There maybe one obvious example of this format of ac number and that is the Dubow 1755 contract.

W33-038ac-1755(11631)

The digits in bracket could be 11-631.

I have no idea what the significance of this is.

Carl

Seeing you’re writing a book – not an easy task! - the least I can do is offer unbridled encouragement. :)
I think i need to make it clear that the book is just a reference guide of contracts ,numbers, etc and not a full treatise on how the US Govt handed these contracts out .
Very similar in some ways how Gary Eastman laid out the data in his book on A2's .
It will deal with just AC contracts .
Maybe if it works out , ill try to do a US Navy version .

Carl

There maybe one obvious example of this format of ac number and that is the Dubow 1755 contract.

View attachment 22786

W33-038ac-1755(11631)

The digits in bracket could be 11-631.

I have no idea what the significance of this is.
Burt , thanks for taking an interest !
That contract number is the sterotypical way in which the contract number would be written .
The contract number i have come across is laid out like this
11107 AC .
It must be from another procurment dept other than Wright field and materiel command , but as to which , i do not know .

Carl

This is an ideal example of what i was looking for as an example of the W11 107 AC contract #

Attachments

• Eddie Bauer B9 label.jpg
    Eddie Bauer B9 label.jpg
    234.1 KB · Views: 376

33-1729

I updated this with the Australian contract quantity the researcher found for me in the National Archives Canberra branch. We’re weren’t able to find the paperwork for any other Australian made A-2 jackets, though I did locate a small, previously unknown, B-3 contract for Renard Furs Pty. Ltd., Vic. (12,997 Req. 3941). I believe this is the most comprehensive A-2 list available at this time.

A-2_contract_list.JPG

Notes:

• A-2 jackets were based upon specification 94-3040 (declassified August 1, 2017) with drawing number 30-1415
  • Horsehide is the first approved leather with cowhide and goatskin approved later for use
  • All original maker jackets were cotton lined per specification 94-3040 documents

• The first three (3) A-2 contracts used button pocket flaps, while all others used snapped pocket flaps (beginning with Werber order number 33-1729)

• Three U.S. A-2 contracts were granted in December 1943 after it was replaced by the AN-6552, likely due to AN-6552 availability issues (the AN-6552 was not listed in the Apr 1, 1944 USAAF supply catalog, though the A-1 and A-2 were both listed)

• Minutes of the Australian Contract Board Supply Business Paper Numbers 8605 (dated 19/5/43) & 9032 (dated 2/6/43) confirm this contract and 8605 also mentions another contract for this firm existed, though that paperwork has not been located. V505 jackets have been shown to be used by some members of the U.S. Fifth Air Force

• A primary source of information on flying/pilot jackets was a single summary "Type Designation Sheet" (TDS) and it was found to contain a few errors, so references using the TDS as an information source contain those same errors. For example, the A-1 drawing number is AN-6501 and not 074737, the A-2 drawing number is 30-1415 and not 31-1415, the A-2 were manufactured with a cotton and not spun silk lining, etc.