A2 CONTRACT DATES-UP-DATED

Discussion in 'Vintage' started by Roughwear, Oct 27, 2012.

1. Grant

Grant Well-Known Member

Funny, here in the New York area, I've seen more Aero and Bronco A-2's come up for sale over the years.

2. zoomer

zoomer Well-Known Member

In civilian suits, anyway, the bell curve on sizes is further left in this era than today. More small sizes, the median size is smaller, and things get really scarce past 42.

Whether the most-often-worn sizes all got worn to shreds is a topic for debate, but I feel certain there were comparatively few men carrying the +/- 20 extra lb so common in our era. You were either relatively thin, or rarely, very heavy indeed.

You did more physical labor and walking. Food was dearer in real terms, and there was a real stigma against overindulgence. And just about every adult male had the cigarette habit, which was no damn good for you, but at least helped you manage cravings and appetite.

(Edited for brevity. I do tend to go on sometimes.)

Last edited: Aug 7, 2018
    Officer Dibley likes this.
  3. 33-1729

33-1729 Active Member

The 15-Aug-1941 Rough Wear Clothing Co. contract W535ac 21035 (order 42-1671P) that was found by Mr. Eastman is the really odd one out (page 209 in his excellent book). Most contracts of that time period were well into the thousands or tens of thousands of jackets, while this contract is estimated to contain only 300 jackets based upon the contract value.

I would think maybe an emergency order for shipment to a particular squadron or region, but maybe it was for a size they were running low on somewhere. No doubt different contracts were predominantly shipped to one region over another, based upon need at the time. Wonder where this one showed up and why.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2018
    zoomer likes this.
  4. B-Man2

B-Man2 Well-Known Member

Grant
    Do you think that the because the Broncos and Aeros were made in New York, that many of surplus originals remained in that area after the war?

5. Grant

Grant Well-Known Member

Haha, could be!
    A few years ago I remember seeing an old faded Crown Zip sign painted on the side of a brick building off Union Square Park and wondering if there were boxes of zips in a basement nearby.

B-Man2 likes this.
  6. Carl

Carl Well-Known Member

Having the contract lists for the US Goverment , most of the A2 contracts are nowhere to be seen

7. Ken at Aero Leather

Ken at Aero Leather Well-Known Member

Aero Beacon Civvy Label.jpg Aero Civvy Label.jpg
    Aero "Private Purchase/Civvy" label used during 1940s, used on A-2s and non military jackets

Micawber, Pilot and Carl like this.