• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A2 and shoulder holster

Swing

watchmanjimg said:
I'm not sure of the exact year, but the Army developed the M21 sniper rifle during Vietnam. This is an accurized version of the M14 with a scope, the Leatherwood ART I believe. I'm pretty sure they're still using this as well as other modern sniper rifles. I believe the M1C and M1ds saw action in early Vietnam, but I think the M1903 sniper hasn't been used by the Army for a long time (like maybe half a century or so).

The last of the 1903A4 sniper rifles were used by the Marines early in the Vietnam war. I believe the M1D had pretty much replaced it though after WWII.

IIRC, the bolt action sniper rifles currently used by the US Army and USMC are based off the Remington Model 700.

Interesting fact about the 1903A4 sniper rifles, Model 1903A3s were simply pulled off Remington's production line, converted to 03A4s (remove iron sights, put a pistol grip stock on it, turned down bolt, add scope, etc), and put into service. No effort was made to cherry pick guns that were more accurate. I have an article by Mike Venturino about reloading .30-06 ammunition, and he mentions he can shoot better groups with his peep sighted Model 1917 than he can with his scoped M1903A4, simply because the former is more accurate.

~Swing

T-Bolt

Swing,

Interesting information regarding the "selection method" used to choose 1903A4 rifles. On the subject of the inherent accuracy of the 1917 Enfield versus the 1903 Springfield, I can't make an educated comment, because I have never owned a 1917. I do own a 1903A3 that is still packed in cosmoline after being sold through an NRA sales program in the 1950's/60's, according to the guy that bought it from the U.S. Government.

I will say that I personally like the looks of the 1903 over the 1917. That's just my opinion.

Ted

Swing

T-Bolt said:
Swing,

Interesting information regarding the "selection method" used to choose 1903A4 rifles. On the subject of the inherent accuracy of the 1917 Enfield versus the 1903 Springfield, I can't make an educated comment, because I have never owned a 1917. I do own a 1903A3 that is still packed in cosmoline after being sold through an NRA sales program in the 1950's/60's, according to the guy that bought it from the U.S. Government.

I will say that I personally like the looks of the 1903 over the 1917. That's just my opinion.

Ted

I agree, the Springfields are prettier. The 1917s are supposed to be heavier though and kick less. For that reason alone I wouldn't mind picking up one. I'm handling my 03A3's recoil better the more I shoot it, but it's kick is still fairly stout. Just picked up a padded shooting jacket to wear at high power matchs, and I expect that will go a long way towards cutting down on having a sore shoulder the next day.

I don't think that in general 1917s were/are more or less accurate than 1903s. Venturino was just using his 03A4 vs his 1917 as an example of how the govt wasn't very picky in choosing their sniper rifles. IIRC, in other articles he has an 03A3 that he shoots better groups with than his 1917.

~Swing