• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A11 watch build from start to finish

Clark J

Just got my 43 Sterling Silver Bulova back today. It has an A-17 sweep second hand for now the original one had rust and just fell to pieces when my watchmaker tried to pull it off. This was an untouched original still sporting it’s original yellowed crystal .

Attachments

• 9CCB6A70-934A-4A02-8F7F-3C81A3E4395C.jpeg
    9CCB6A70-934A-4A02-8F7F-3C81A3E4395C.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 165

Bombing IP

Does anyone know who exactly was issued with the A11 watch ,just crews or everyone .Or maybe just officers ?

Bip

Edward

How accurate are these watches after 75 years? Never had one so don’t know.
depends on the care and maintenance of the watch. my 1941 and 1943 both keep good time but depending on setting. (inside is a regulator switch marked F and S to make the working faster or slower) I wind mine up every morning ( usually about 20 turns of the crown) and set the time to my iPhone internet time... they may lose or gain a minute within 24 hours or so which is normal for an old analog type of watch. (which may be why they were always hacking and syncing watches at briefing before a mission) not sure how often I should get them cleaned and oiled but so far mine keep good time . I don't rely on them to be 100% accurate for but a day at a time since they need to be wound daily anyway.. they are more just worn as fashion.

Last edited:

Edward

depends on the care and maintenance of the watch. my 1941 and 1943 both keep good time but depending on setting. (inside is a regulator switch marked F and S to make the working faster or slower) I wind mine up every morning needed or not ( usually about 20 turns of the crown) and set the time to my iPhone internet time... they may lose or gain a minute within 24 hours or so which is normal for an old analog type of watch. (which may be why they were always hacking and syncing watches at briefing before a mission) not sure how often I should get them cleaned and oiled but so far mine keep good time . I don't rely on them to be 100% accurate for but a day at a time since they need to be wound daily anyway.. they are more just worn as fashion.
when my watch was gaining a minute or two per day I gently pushed this lever a bit to slow it down and now it keeps near perfect time... just an arbitrary judgment on how much to set it but it worked for me.
ElginAC4.jpg

Pilot

The speed regulator trick works...up to a certain extend ...
All of a sudden...no more ....and the A-11 ( same for all mech. movements) picks up speed or loose pace...and...gone...!
Then ...only a routined an skilled watchmaker can help...if...he knows and has the balance and other worn out parts...
Mine...in Europe...in Germany...Meister Hemmerling...in Calau....( already posted here) but...not a cheap Charley..( .a matter of priority......Crapola or the real thing..)...but very skilled and with all needed parts...
In Korea...( also already posted here) I have another one, but maybe not relevant here...unless someone wants to send his watch to Korea for repair.

Last edited:

Spitfireace

depends on the care and maintenance of the watch. my 1941 and 1943 both keep good time but depending on setting. (inside is a regulator switch marked F and S to make the working faster or slower) I wind mine up every morning ( usually about 20 turns of the crown) and set the time to my iPhone internet time... they may lose or gain a minute within 24 hours or so which is normal for an old analog type of watch. (which may be why they were always hacking and syncing watches at briefing before a mission) not sure how often I should get them cleaned and oiled but so far mine keep good time . I don't rely on them to be 100% accurate for but a day at a time since they need to be wound daily anyway.. they are more just worn as fashion.
my 1942 Waltham keeps time to ten seconds fast per day. Which is well within AAF specs of within 30 seconds per day. You can't expect more than that for these watches really as they are utilitarian watches and not luxury timepieces.