• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A11 watch build from start to finish

Bombing IP

I wanted to own an A11 watch but some of the offerings were just to worn out and have to many incorrect parts movements .
I picked up this 1941 Elgin case and face with winder knob ,any input you guys can give me would be appreciated .Next I need an Elgin 539 hacking movement
DSC_0006.JPG
DSC_0001.JPG

B-Man2

Jeff
I had a guy in West Palm Beach Florida, but its been a while since I used him.
I can send you his info but that's about the extent of it.

B-Man2

What’s a reasonable offer on a watch like that? What would it normally sell for and is he priced fairly or a bit on the high end?
Sorry for all the questions.
Trying to learn more about these.

Bombing IP

Clark that looks like a nice piece even has the blued gears , definitley worth making an offer .

Jeff

Pilot

Coin bezel Elgins only after 1943-44.
Cal. 539 has never been issued originally with a coin bezel Elgin.
Rebuildings happened a lot but mostly after 1945.

Bombing IP

So I need to look for a 554 or 532 would be the corect movement for this case ,would that be corect Pilot.

Rgds Jeff

Pilot

So I need to look for a 554 or 532 would be the corect movement for this case ,would that be corect Pilot.

Rgds Jeff
Hi Jeff,
according to my books, yes. Below a good example.

Last edited:

Clark J

What book has that info ? Have always thought those 2 movements were used as sub dial movements

Bombing IP

Can a sub second dial watch be converted to major sweeping second hand ? .As the 554 seem to be mostly sub second movement .

BIP
Jeff

Clark J

Something can be done some how,,,I have a buddy who did up a couple of sub dials and added the parts that made it a hacking with a sweep second and a sub dial to boot ! Dam cool watch !!

Pilot

Sure,...but I prefere the genuine originals (WW2) untouched items...but thats me....
A refurbished item IMHO has lost it all...but again...thats me...
Besides, plenty of untouched items still available for a bit of $$$ but still there...