• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A "What if.." project: Cocker's fictious VF-26 "Laughin' Devils" in Vietnam...

ties70

Hi all,

Some days ago Cedric aka @Cocker has shown some of his DCS flight simulator aircrafts and - most surprising - his idea of an embroidered squadron patch for a F-14 operating fictious VF-26.

1615713344025.png

I thought his idea was absolutely brilliant, with a simple but clever design...and then I thought, well, how would a less artistic Vietnam War Era patch look like?

The idea turned into a surprise patch for Cedric, that I announced as:
"Hi, just ripped this off an old G-1, belonging to a F-4 Rio from the VF-26 ! Sorry for the stitch holes..."

received_241676064193967.jpeg

Lucky me, because Cedric was quite happy with the patch, and not mad at me for messing with his design...
We then collaborated on the idea to modify the patch and include an aircraft, possibly a F-14 or a F-4...the first drafts of the Tomcat were less convincing than the Phantom, so that's what we decided for:

IMG_20210321_1832187.jpg

I must say that this was a real fun "project" and I feel totally honored that Cedric shared it with me.

Thanks again, man!
I will send you the patches, and I would be more than thrilled if one or both will find their way into your "briefing room".

IMG_20210321_191626.jpg

Best regards,

Ties

B-Man2

Ties
As always ... absolutely brilliant artwork . You’ve got skills ... nicely done .
Congrats to Cedric as well . Brilliant design !!

Cocker

Thanks A LOT, Ties! It came as a true surprised, and I'm the one honored here.

I had tons of fun doing this fake patch, and being able to put a real one in a frame in my office will be so friggin' cool!! Even my girlfriend, who's views on my sim and skinning activites are mostly "meh" was quite hyped about it. That speaks volume!

Cocker

Aren't there enough 'fakes' already?

If serious about it, perhaps a VLJ Squadron patch... FiveStar G-1s and super patches...

Hey hey hey, let me enjoy my virtual squadron, will ya!! :p

I think it meets the whole scheme: I'm not a real US Navy pilot, wearing a replica US Navy flight jacket, adorned with a patch from a fictitious US Navy squadron!

Now, a VLJ patch, that's something to think about. I'm under the impression it's the first time I hear about it, but I'd be surprised if it'd be really the first time anyone talks about it.

ties70

Cedric,

Your patch already has the essential spirit of a VLJ patch:

"The devil is in the details" of collecting flight jackets, and if you are happy with what you have just bought, there will always be a member here to play "devil's advocate" and spread some sulphuric shit on your good mood... ;)

Ties

Last edited:

busdrivermike

I love this patch, I’m not a fan of wearing current or former
military patches , not intended as criticism of anyone that does
It’s just not “my personal” thing but as a sci-fi horror fan
I can totally get behind (geek out) fantasy inspired patches
Like from aliens, Star Trek or like this pic I posted a while back from the
Twilight zone
4F1E9E6F-43F7-4C74-9079-8AB7F3795CED.png
G

SuinBruin

Hey hey hey, let me enjoy my virtual squadron, will ya!! :p

I think it meets the whole scheme: I'm not a real US Navy pilot, wearing a replica US Navy flight jacket, adorned with a patch from a fictitious US Navy squadron!

Now, a VLJ patch, that's something to think about. I'm under the impression it's the first time I hear about it, but I'd be surprised if it'd be really the first time anyone talks about it.
Yep, the subject of a forum patch has been brought up before, but not for some time.