• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A very sad tale...............

Otter

Sweater is doing well, 1941 pattern submarine sweater. Grandma is up to the shoulders on back and front, just the sleeves to go ! Being knitted up in a nice off white Arran oiled wool.

B-Man2

Sweater is doing well, 1941 pattern submarine sweater. Grandma is up to the shoulders on back and front, just the sleeves to go ! Being knitted up in a nice off white Arran oiled wool.
You’ve got to post that one when it’s finished.!

Otter

I will do, Grandma is down with us for New year, she might be able to complete it before she goes home, about 4 inches up one sleeve just this evening !

Legion

Is there somewhere a pdf copy of the "knitting for the RAF" (comforts committee) instructions booklet? I have looked online but can't locate it. If someone could direct me I would really appreciate it. Thank you

Last edited:

Otter

Not that I could find ! The V&A museum had a library of vintage patterns but nothing similar that I could see. I think your only hope is getting the pattern from one of the booklets on greedbay. The pattern that my mum is using for my sweater is not that helpful, she had to modify it considerably. It was sized for about 38 chest but they waist as directed was stupidly small, like sleeve sized. She had to work up the chest dimensions as well as I am a 44. The wool I bought was a nice Arran, from Wool Warehouse in the UK, about 9GBP a skein, I bought 3 to be on the safe side.

Legion

Thank you. It's in my immediate plans after I return from holiday so I can add some photos too ;).

Otter

View media item 872
Quick couple of photos, the pattern when it came did not realy match the RN sweater but bears a passing resemblence to the RAF Comforts Comittee. As I said before, there was a lot of modification to it, the first knit up on the bottom row was about a 24' waist size !