• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A very cool nylon jacket worn by a very cool dude

download72_zps29129d6c.jpg

General Stewart. I have always admired him, not only for his acting but for his service to country. Try finding anyone in Hollywood that would be in the military these days.

Peter Graham

Just got "Jimmy Stewart Bomber Pilot" from the library. Looking forward to reading it once I finish "Jochen Peiper Panzer leader." :?

Treetopflyer made a statement regarding Hollywood today. I was just making the point that there are some that have ties to, and are very supportive of the military. You are right, thank you for the uncle/dad correction.

dmar836

A lot of guys like Rooney and Gable just made appearances - perhaps under studio contract. For some reason Stewart walked he walk!
Dave

watchmanjimg

dmar836 said:
A lot of guys like Rooney and Gable just made appearances - perhaps under studio contract. For some reason Stewart walked he walk!
Dave

I'm no expert but it's at least claimed that Gable flew combat missions, was awarded the DFC, and narrowly missed being hit by flak. Is this not true?

Monsoon

watchmanjimg said:
dmar836 said:
Dave

I'm no expert but it's at least claimed that Gable flew combat missions, was awarded the DFC, and narrowly missed being hit by flak. Is this not true?

Read "Masters of the Air". Gable was an LT flying as a gunner making a recruiting movie about the gunner program.

He'd didn't fly often, but had to drink himself to sleep sometimes.

He was almost court martialed for threatening a flight surgeon. The doc was making comments about how a wounded gunner was beyond help and would die while the kid was laying in the hospital bed. Gable looked over at the kid and saw he was crying.

Gable said that if he did something stupid like that again, he was going to kill him.

I think that Gable showed restraint. I'd have nailed that doc to the "Tree of Woe".

in my mind no actor has or ever will touch the combat/military record of jimmy stewart. Remember he left his acting career at the TOP of his game to join the AAF. Worked his way up to four engine a/c commander, THEN volunteered/insisted that he be sent to the 8th to fly combat. Once he started flying combat he insisted on a press blackout, simply because he didnt want the extra attention. His record as squadron commander, and group operations officer was excellent, and it was assumed that he was kicked up to group staff because he insisted on flying as much as possible and only the hard mission. He was slated for high command but the war ended before it happened. Then upon arriving back in NY after the war on the queen mary, he personally shook the hand of every GI under his command as they got off the boat.

The definition of a hero.

GoodTimesGone

Here's a recruiting film with Jimmy Stewart as a new officer. Even with it being black & white footage his A-2 looks fairly dark. I wonder if this is not the same russet Roughwear that we've seen him wearing in later photos that was donated to the Air Force museum. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lnxyCgdhSBw