• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A Slow Saturday so I Thought I’d Ask the Question;

B-Man2

Is it just me or has anyone given any thought to the similarities between the Wested Indy Jacket and the Avirex G-8 jacket?
Take away the button pockets and Diamond overlay elbow patches of the G-8 and the Wested Indy sure looks like a kissing cousin to the Avirex G-8 . Anyone care to share their thoughts on this ?
4C73112B-77C1-4714-8D36-8F1A77099D37.jpeg

P-47 thunderbolt

Sounds about right to me, plus that avirex looks a damn sight closer to the film jacket than the Wested jacket, in terms of leather grain, colour and character

Chandler

Is it just me or has anyone given any thought to the similarities between the Wested Indy Jacket and the Avirex G-8 jacket?
Yep. But I can't remember which I saw first, the G-8 in the Cockpit catalog or the Wested on Indy.

Anyone have a timeline?

And yeah, I originally bought Avirex's story that the G-8 was a true Navy jacket, so I thought that made Indy's a little more "authentic." Should have just been looking at vintage trucker jackets. ;)

Smithy

Take away the button pockets and Diamond overlay elbow patches of the G-8 and the Wested Indy sure looks like a kissing cousin to the Avirex G-8 . Anyone care to share their thoughts on this ? View attachment 93189

Very similar Burt. To me though the Indy jacket is far better looking, there's too much going on with the G-8 and TBH I think it looks fugly compared to the Indy but that might just be me.

mulceber

My understanding has been that the basis for the Indy jacket was the A-2 jacket, but Harrison Ford (understandably) didn't want his jacket to have knits in Tunisia, and when Peter (owner of Wested) got called to make "an A-2 jacket without the knits," he actually started with a cafe racer model he had, and added the collar, patch pockets, and storm flap - thus explaining why an A-2 clone has a bi-swing back. I think that explanation is plausible enough, and results in a jacket that's within spitting distance of the G-8.