• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A Road Trip to the 8th Air Force Museum!

MauldinFan

I angered my wife (which came as zero surprise) when we went to Savanna a few years back as I wanted to see this museum. She wouldn't go inside with me, so I had to do it fast. I took oodles of photos, including the jackets they had on display. I was surprised to find the nose art from a B-17 cut out and on display there. The B-17 wasn't open to look around inside, though. It was summertime then, so it didn't cross my mind to even bring one of my own A-2s, let alone wear it. I'm from the south originally and hated the heat and humidity even back when I was still used to it.
They had a neat 'challenge' coin for sale in the gift shop with the early 8th BC insignia on the front and the B-17 on the back, so of course I bought one...

YoungMedic

We lucked out with absolutely perfect A2 weather this day .
19757AB6-B2B4-4DD8-82C4-9DDE65946624.jpeg

Paul Glover

Great write up and photos guys !, your efforts are much appreciated.
For any of our UK members, I was lucky enough to have visited East Kirby airfield, the home of Just Jane ( lancaster bomber) last summer, there are enough static displays on site for at least a two day visit not to mention an almost airworthy Lanc.
Just in case you are not travelling across the pond anytime soon.
At some point I will add some photos of my visit , if someone else has already posted about this museum a heads up would be welcome before I duplicate anything.
Thanks again for your great article.

Sen.Capt.Cook

These are really impressive photos.
I personally watched them for a long time. It feels like time travel to me. Thanks for the effort and sharing the photos.