• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A question about wear and tear...

markc

OK chaps, I have what might (to you) seem a silly question.

First - a bit of background...

I used (in the bad old days - before I discovered "real" jackets) to go through leather jackets as if they were paper. I reckoned that 12 months was normal and 2 years was an exceptional lenght of time for a jacket to last.

I've now (as you may remember) had an Aero 1950s bomber since last May. In that time I've had the waistband replaced and the lining repaired (I wore through both) - FOC by Aero (nice chaps that they are).

My jacket now looks battered, creased and generally quite scuffed (although the leather is still sound). I know that any of the old "lesser" jackets that I used to buy would have given up the ghost by now. This Aero is made of the heaviest horsehide that they use and is still showing a good deal of wear.

In fact - when I returned it for repair to Aero - Will asked me what I'd been doing to it "you must be living in it" were his actual words - that's pretty much what I do.

My question is - what sort of wear can I expect out of a "good" jacket? How long could I expect it to last and how often will it need lining, cuffs, waistband replacing, etc?

In addition - what sort of wear could I expect from other leathers? e.g., Goatskin, Buffalo, Steer, Sheepskin, etc.

If I spring for another jacket (or two) I would hate to destroy it/them in the same way that I used to (I'm thinking of maybe a B6 or an Irvin and another "everyday jacket - one of the Goodwear A2s perhaps).

Any views?

Mark

shanghai joe

markc said:
OK chaps, I have what might (to you) seem a silly question.

First - a bit of background...

I used (in the bad old days - before I discovered "real" jackets) to go through leather jackets as if they were paper. I reckoned that 12 months was normal and 2 years was an exceptional lenght of time for a jacket to last.

I've now (as you may remember) had an Aero 1950s bomber since last May. In that time I've had the waistband replaced and the lining repaired (I wore through both) - FOC by Aero (nice chaps that they are).

My jacket now looks battered, creased and generally quite scuffed (although the leather is still sound). I know that any of the old "lesser" jackets that I used to buy would have given up the ghost by now. This Aero is made of the heaviest horsehide that they use and is still showing a good deal of wear.

In fact - when I returned it for repair to Aero - Will asked me what I'd been doing to it "you must be living in it" were his actual words - that's pretty much what I do.

My question is - what sort of wear can I expect out of a "good" jacket? How long could I expect it to last and how often will it need lining, cuffs, waistband replacing, etc?

In addition - what sort of wear could I expect from other leathers? e.g., Goatskin, Buffalo, Steer, Sheepskin, etc.

If I spring for another jacket (or two) I would hate to destroy it/them in the same way that I used to (I'm thinking of maybe a B6 or an Irvin and another "everyday jacket - one of the Goodwear A2s perhaps).

Any views?

Mark

heard that lost worlds horsehide are bullet proof................of course I'm only expressing my personal opinion! :)

better duck

Apart from "living" in it (meaning, I take it, wearing it every day for may hours a day) it would depend on what you do with the jacket during that period. Do you have a very physical job, like in building, or something like that.
Me, I'm a deskjockey, so even if I would wear my A2s all day, all the wear would be from resting my elbows on the desk or table.
Please enlighten us a bit more as to your activities, as the wear and tear you put your jackets through indeed sounds a bit excessive....

cheaterome

Yeah....... you should probably look into a Lost Worlds jacket... seriously if you can actually wear one out I'd be very surprised .
Aero's details and stuff I can see.... especially their knits, they will wear out.

I wear my jackets hard as well....motor swaps , building cars, welding , grinding, staying warm in garages that are 40 degrees when it is -20 below outside... laying on concrete/dirt/asphalt on my back changing gears out of transmissions and , junkyard scrounging and stuff, no worries with my LW A-2 stuff.

I'm speaking of the leather and the construction of the jacket itself. Liners , cuffs and waistbands all see the same abuse as everything else but that LW is stern stuff.

Check them out.

Jerome

mazeta

cheaterome said:
Yeah....... you should probably look into a Lost Worlds jacket... seriously if you can actually wear one out I'd be very surprised .
Aero's details and stuff I can see.... especially their knits, they will wear out.

I wear my jackets hard as well....motor swaps , building cars, welding , grinding, staying warm in garages that are 40 degrees when it is -20 below outside... laying on concrete/dirt/asphalt on my back changing gears out of transmissions and , junkyard scrounging and stuff, no worries with my LW A-2 stuff.

I'm speaking of the leather and the construction of the jacket itself. Liners , cuffs and waistbands all see the same abuse as everything else but that LW is stern stuff.

Check them out.

Jerome
Agreed on the Lost Worlds horsehide. Southern California climate doesn't give me enough time to wear them hard enough to break in, so after ~8 years of going through different styles/hide thicknesses, I'm wimping out and switching to goatskin!

markc

Thanks for the replies guys. I don't know what it is that I do that kills jackets. I drive a desk too. I walk to and from work each day in Manchester's finest weather. So, with lunchtimes, I wear my Aero 2 hours each weekday and a bjt more at weekends. Perhaps I just walk into stuff? I notice that Lost Worlds seem to get the tough vote so maybe that'a what I'll try next. Thanks again,
Mark C

Robman

Actually, having both the Aero and LW, the Aero knits have held up better.

Don't mean to cause more confusion.

airfrogusmc

Robman yours is a REAL BEAUTY. Stu nailed it with that one. Also Jerome used to have a real nice A-2 from Stu and a killer G-1...

Takes a bit to break'm in ;) :lol: but one you do WHOA....

cheaterome

I still have that one and it does get used and abused.

The funny thing is guys who I hang out with know how much these jackets cost and freak when I am working on cars in them.

I know there has been comments about his thicker topcoat on this horsehide. I have had a oil pan let go an a 60 year old flathead motor and just drench the right sleeve of my jacket with some 60 year old 40 weight oil I just wiped it off.... no staining or any other ill effects whatsoever.

Jerome

Geir

I have an Aero Indian goatskin A2 which I have been wearing at work every day for the last three years. I teach at a high school in Oslo, Norway and I have found that this by far the most comfortable jacket to wear at work. So far the lining has developed a few small holes, but the knits are in excellent shape. The goatskin has got a nice patina, but I would not say it is worn. So IMO there is nothing wrong with the jackets from Aero Scotland.

airfrogusmc

cheaterome said:
I still have that one and it does get used and abused.

The funny thing is guys who I hang out with know how much these jackets cost and freak when I am working on cars in them.

I know there has been comments about his thicker topcoat on this horsehide. I have had a oil pan let go an a 60 year old flathead motor and just drench the right sleeve of my jacket with some 60 year old 40 weight oil I just wiped it off.... no staining or any other ill effects whatsoever.

Jerome

Kinda like a crew member on the flight line. Hey J you still got that killer LW b-3 you had?

Hamsterbear

Jerome[/quote]
Agreed on the Lost Worlds horsehide. Southern California climate doesn't give me enough time to wear them hard enough to break in, so after ~8 years of going through different styles/hide thicknesses, I'm wimping out and switching to goatskin![/quote]

No "whimping" at all.....
Goatskin is the PERFECT hide choice for a California climate, either an A-2 or a Navy m-422a or G-1. I was lucky to get a G&B goatskin A-2 on the clearance page, one without a collar stand for $299, and for the past six months I've been wearing the heck out of it, and it's finally starting to get that comfortable worn-in look. It's on JC Flight jackets USA CD.
collar_details.jpg

-Brian

cheaterome

Hey J you still got that killer LW b-3 you had?

Actually the size 42 that I originally got back in 2001 went to another collector in Wisconsin who already has a bunch of b-3's..... RM/Aero/Eastman and he was more than satisfied with that jacket.he couldn't really believe how good it was actually.

I still have another LW in a size 40 that is my Perfect b-3. Fit is perfect and just as good as my Old LW jacket.
I mean other than dropping crazy money on a Liberator B-3 or one of those antique finish HLB b-3's by the Few I 'm set.

Jerome

airfrogusmc

Man that old LW B-3 was really look'n the part...

I'm sure the size 40 is just as nice and great for those cold days at Lambau

bseal

MarkC, how about a picture of that Aero that you have been living in?

If you do get another jacket from Aero and want heavy duty, my suggestion is a civilian style in their buffalo hide with a cotton drill lining. Good luck tearing it apart. ;)

Looking forward to the pics.

markc

I'll try to remember to take photos soon.

Thanks again for the comments - looks like I'll have to wait a while for another jacket - just got a service bill for one of my watches....

£650!!!

Ouch!

Cheers,

Mark C

markc

I finally took a few photos:

PICT6420.jpg

whole jacket you can see the wrinkling of the arms and get an idea of the scuffing.

PICT6417.jpg

part of one arm

PICT6416.jpg

more scuffed/creased leather

PICT6413.jpg

and some more

Don't ask me - I just wear it.

Being honest - the wear is much more noticeable to me as the owner/wearer of the jacket, most people (who comment) just say "Nice jacket" or (after holding it) "Good grief! How can you wear something so heavy?"

I also frequently have to explain about horse hide and no horses being killed, etc., etc.

Cheers,

Mark C