• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A nylon lover's dream come true . . .

Tim P

This rationale is why Korea stuff is cheaper than ww2. why D-day provenanced helmets or EASY COMPANY helmets go for more than others. collectors seek out the sexy. Me included. the jacket cant help when it was made however...
I have a friend who is a prolific helmet collector, about anything but french Adrians are his thing. anyhow, in the press during GW2/ OIF there was a picture of a Royal Marine with some hardcore grafitti on his helmet cover. My mate said he would pay hundreds for that helmet and seriously asked me to trace the marine and offer him money for his helmet.. I said well, I was deployed too, I have personalised it whilst deployed... have mine as a gift. thing is it hadnt been in the papers and I was air force so it wasnt worth as much aesthetically as the bootnecks . It started life however quite possibly at the same factory.
a 76 DSA is less collectible I conceed but we are still talking about a 33 year old MINT jacket. One with a 72 DSA in the same shape would not have been worn in nam either owing to it still being in the bag. ;)

I hope you enjoy it whatever your decision.

watchmanjimg

Again Tim, great comments and observations. You're correct that a 'Nam-dated jacket still in the wrap would not have been worn in Vietnam, but at least it could serve as part of a 'Nam-era aircrewman's initial issue impression. While my collection of flight jackets includes many wartime examples, I also buy modern flight jackets purely for casual wear. My entire inventory of CWUs and Army helicopter/CVC jackets falls into this category. None of them are historically significant. They're just well-made jackets and of course I like the color. :lol:

I suppose the point of all my rambling is that for me the idea of opening the Greenbrier represents an opportunity to experience a brand-new, genuine L-2B as it would have been issued. I will certainly enjoy it whether I open the package or not, as I love the countless other jackets in my collection (at least 15 of which are L-2Bs). :eek:

Weasel_Loader

Late to the thread here. (Vacationing).

I say leave it packaged Jim. You don't need a mint J do ya? When you really look at it, I don't think a packaged J model would bring that much more money than a MINT J such as your would be with occasional wearing. Whatever you decide Jim, I'm sure it'll be right for ya. ;)

*Nice find BTW!!!

watchmanjimg

I just happened to be looking through my old posts and came across this one. Many of you weighed in with your opinions, and I thought you'd be amused to hear that I decided to keep the jacket sealed in the wrapper after all. :D

Tim P

yes I saw that, apart from being mint, and the size I suppose, it is otherwise unremarkable.

Phantomfixer

Both jackets are really neat finds...The current XL on ebay would be a hoot, if it sells for the BIN price, wow...

as for the sealed package thing...I would open it and wear it like riding a classic car on a sunny Sunday afternoon...OR flying the Stearman or T-6 on any day of the week!

I have witnessed too many estate sales to think about what happens to collector's "things" after they/we pass....
Agree with an earlier post enjoy it now....

bn1966

I had a phase of collecting original 'Happy Days' figurines by Mego (totally off topic) some I purchased were still in original boxes (never opened) boy...I had fun opening them :lol:

watchmanjimg

bn1966 said:
Jim..go on open it...you know you want to :mrgreen:

bn1966 said:
I had a phase of collecting original 'Happy Days' figurines by Mego (totally off topic) some I purchased were still in original boxes (never opened) boy...I had fun opening them :lol:

Both options have their appeal, but I have so many other L-2Bs on hand that I'm going to leave this one sealed for now. :D

watchmanjimg

Well guys, I ran across this one yesterday and can't wait to receive it. The vintage is uncertain at this time, but all orange-lined issued jackets have the wool interlining so it'll be nice regardless of the date. Nonetheless, I'm hoping it's 'Nam-era of course . . .

Rutger

Wow, that's very cool, where did you source that? Are most of this issue Alpha's?
Well, I guess you already decided to open it, so looking forward to pics of a grand opening.

watchmanjimg

Rutger, I may not open it but we'll see once it arrives. By the mid-1960s most will be Alphas. Update to follow . . .

watchmanjimg

dmar836 said:
Did you ever open the other one?
Dave

Never did. I have so many that there's really no temptation, plus I plan to put these jackets with the sealed flightsuits and various other unopened pieces I've accumulated. ;-)