• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A Near Perfect Original 1968 Martin Lane G-1 …. Has Lost Some Value .

B-Man2

You may agree or disagree with the premise here but if you had this jacket would you have done this to it or purchased a repro and patched that one instead. Just trying to stimulate a little conversation here. :)

blackrat2

I personally would feel a little awkward wearing it, original or not
If I was looking for a patched jacket for sure I would be looking for original and I would be keen to research its history…I certainly wouldn’t want to wreck a jacket to look like Maverick
Has anyone else noticed that pretty much every G-1 is associated to “Top Gun”
currently

tda003

My perspnal choice would be to leave an unpatched original alone. Exceptions would be to patch it with patches of a squadron or squadron with which I served or to replace the squadron patch(es) during a resoration. Otherwise, IMHO, it's just theatrical and smacks of saying, "I'm a wannabe".

CombatWombat

I mean if the jacket WAS patched I'd do it up as a Top Gun jacket.....if it was a "virgin" jacket I'd keep it that way, I wouldn't put more holes into it
(I'm not really on the "badged" bandwagon myself,which I guess is my motorcycle jacket heritage coming out)

Jorgeenriqueaguilera

In my opinion, that jacket was far from being in perfect condition before they added the patches. They did a terrible job replacing the cuffs with wrong material and most likely that cannot be fixed anymore because the new stitch holes made the sleeves shorter, and that certainly devaluated the jacket. The mouton shows some wear as well and the bald spot doesn't help. The value of the jacket (poorly repaired) before they added the patches was probably 80-150 $us and now with the patches probably is in the same range.

Chandler

Ugh. "Genuine" Top Gun. Yeh, okee.

Lotta Seabees going to Top Gun School? :D

Lack of a nameplate is sort of telling.

MikeyB-17

I wouldn’t patch any original-and in any case I think that Tom Cruise style with patches everywhere looks daft anyway. Name tag, couple on the chest and maybe shoulders, but no more for me. For me, patches should be put on by the serving person who was issued it. We’re moving into the realms of historic artefacts, especially with older jackets, and if it doesn’t have patches on it, I wouldn’t put any on it. If you want to patch one, use a repro. I guess there could be exceptions -if you knew its history and wanted to replace patches previously removed, for instance, but otherwise, I’d leave it alone.

Spitfireace

We don't like to be noticed. We don't want a LOOK AT ME. Everyday is endless trip you've got to ride it to the end of line. Be a trouble shooter avoid the bad luck away and get to your target on time. You'll find out the only trick in the book is only one way to get things done, you'll find out the only way to the top is looking out for #1.

Chandler

I used to work near Great Lakes Naval Training Center and would sometimes wear my G-1 out to get lunch.

The looks I'd get from uniformed Navy guys was suspicious -- somewhat withering at times. I can't imagine if it had one or 2 patches, let alone the "top gun" treatment.

Flightengineer

This is just an attempt to cash in on the hype surrounding the movie, nothing more.
I'd never do this with the original.

Many people today trying to make money fast on Top Gun#2, for example, here funny guys from Pakistan made crappy jacket from the big distance resembling CWU - they also catching their chance :p

Last edited:

London Cabbie

This is just an attempt to cash in on the hype surrounding the movie, nothing more.
I'd never do this with the original.

Many people today trying to make money fast on Top Gun#2, for example, here funny guys from Pakistan made crappy jacket from the big distance resembling CWU - they also catching their chance :p

Parachute pocket..?

Brettafett

No way... Thats what an AVI is for. I wouldn't patch an original.
One caveat would be that if a family member served and I wanted to honour that, then I would go all original if possibly, jacket, patches, etc...

B-Man2

The final selling price for this vintage original jacket should offer a bit of insight to those of us who are considering patching an original like this one . After 4 re-listings it had only one bid and sold for a whopping $199.00. Way below the usual value for a jacket of this age and even below the cheapest repros out there.