• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A.M. Clothing Irvin Jackets-the ultimate RAF fleece jacket!

MikeyB-17

Re: A.M. Clothing Irvin Jackets-the ultimate RAF fleece jack

What fascinates me about all this is that we had a group of select sheep who contributed to the War effort. Was there a squadron of sheep pilots (The Flying Sheep? Or were the Black Sheep actual sheep?) or a unit of elite commando sheep? This is new information I was not aware of.

havocpaul

Well we must have had sheep squadrons, remember the ace Douglas Baaa-der :D

ButteMT61

MikeyB-17 said:
What fascinates me about all this is that we had a group of select sheep who contributed to the War effort. Was there a squadron of sheep pilots (The Flying Sheep? Or were the Black Sheep actual sheep?) or a unit of elite commando sheep? This is new information I was not aware of.

Was there segregation of the sheep back then? Maybe a movie "Fluffy Tails" could be done by Lucas. It's more his speed...

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.

ww2_sheep_pilot.jpg

Dr H

...A sheep in sheep's clothing... ?

SuinBruin

Dr H said:
...A sheep in sheep's clothing... ?
Yeah, the painting is a little Buffalo Bill (Silence of the Lambs) if you think about it. Which I try not to.

Dr H

Well, the eyes do follow you around the room...

:?

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.

• New Zealand pioneered aerial topdressing, using former World War II sheep pilots to drop fertiliser in otherwise inaccessible places. It was a job that called on all their aviation skills. They flew low over hair-raising terrain and the death toll was high, but their work transformed vast areas of previously unproductive land into pasture.

Dr H

That sounds like sheep dip to me, but you Kiwis know your sheep...
;)

A

Anonymous

if anyone is planning to make A-2 repros say it now please

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.

Dr H said:
That sounds like sheep dip to me, but you Kiwis know your sheep...
;)

Yes, we have them to a stage now where they are largely self sufficient ... now that our sheep shearers are highly trained, you can pretty much lease a block of land, and leave them to it.

havocpaul

PLATON said:

Well I have bought a roll of NOS wartime cotton so would like to announce me and a consortium (well, me and my dog..sorry, sheep dog!) will be releasing a stitch-for-stitch copy of a no-name, no contract A-2 sometime in the distant future but that's all I can say for now ;) !

rich

havocpaul said:
PLATON said:

Well I have bought a roll of NOS wartime cotton so would like to announce me and a consortium (well, me and my dog..sorry, sheep dog!) will be releasing a stitch-for-stitch copy of a no-name, no contract A-2 sometime in the distant future but that's all I can say for now ;) !

Oh balls, not you as well........ but I bet my one is even further into the future than yours. I thought if I left it long enough, and if time is not just linear, they could one day actually be the originals. Or something. :ugeek:

Dr H

As David posted it, I'd avoid mention of Australians too ;)

Peter Graham

rich said:
havocpaul said:
PLATON said:

Oh balls, not you as well........ but I bet my one is even further into the future than yours. I thought if I left it long enough, and if time is not just linear, they could one day actually be the originals. Or something. :ugeek:

Love it guys. What's wrong Andrew, not laughing ?

oose

Get back to that hanger Peter, its 'wire wool' for you from now on. ;)

stu