• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A.M. Clothing Irvin Jackets-the ultimate RAF fleece jacket!

Dr H

Re: A.M. Clothing Irvin Jackets-the ultimate RAF fleece jack

deeb7 said:
Dr H said:
...but equating a DB6 or DB7 with a classic Aston is... ;)

Hey !! I'm DB7. :shock:

What can I say? Not one of the 10... :twisted:

Change your moniker to Deeb4GeeTee and I might relent ;)

Dr H

John Lever said:
I am waiting for the Ram foreskin multipanel version.

Crikey...are those rams large in Surrey? :shock:

m444uk

deeb7 said:
Dr H said:
...but equating a DB6 or DB7 with a classic Aston is... ;)

Hey !! I'm DB7. :shock:

Do they pay people in NZ to prop up lamp posts ?

Few-standingava.jpg

m444uk

Dr H said:
And upside down?!

Correct

Few-standingava-1.jpg

BTW. if you drilled a hole through the earth and dived in you'd come out in NZ head first. Not a lot of people know that :idea:

Dr H

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Jason

Like Soren, I work in an ultra cut-throat competitive environment. There's three big players in my game, and if one brings out a new product or service, the other two follow suit within days - wether they're prepared for it or not. I suspect something similar has happened here.

But lets forget the timing issue for a moment. Look through to the end result: there will be more choice for us. Oh sure, now a potential market has to be shared by two makers, perhaps diluting the profit that one might have had when they projected they'd be the only player in the game. But I think there will be room to comfortably support both, especially given that more choice offered to the market should overall equate to greater sales than if no choice were available. If my suspicions are correct, the two new players (not forgetting ELC are out there doing pretty good repros already, with Aero a short step behind) will end up differentiating themselves enough to create their own niches.

For my money, given whats on offer from the two so far, one fits my choice better than the other. Hopefully they won't be inundated with orders when I'm ready to go.

stevetfire

havocpaul said:
jonnyboy said:
I'd just like to thank everyone who has shown support for me and my jackets - it's been overwhelming and I really appreciate it.

I'd like to reiterate that my disappointment wasn't about my project having competition - as we all know, there are several companies currently making reproduction Irvins, to varying degrees of authenticity. They co-exist happily, each with their own loyal customers. I'm confident there's room for two more manufacturers. What shocked me was the timing of the announcement.

It would be nice to be able to draw a line under this. For my part, nothing changes: I'll keep on making highly accurate Irvin jackets and I'm
now open for business.

Thanks again for your fantastic support.

Jon

Spoken like a true gent. I now only hope I can fund the purchase of one of your Irvins real soon, good luck with all you do.
I'll second that..nicely put

rich

coanda said:
I feel this thread has gone far enough, Certainly the vitriol and some cases the abuse that has been shown to towards Andrew S is beyond the pail. Andrew has been asked to announce that "we" are finally nearing a position where a truly accurate reproduction of a 1938 Irvin Airchute jacket, is becoming a reality. This is in my case after very nearly 10 years of work with others involved.

I do feel that we have to apologise to Johnny over the timing of the release, what ever my protestations, it is never going to look to be coincidental, I/we will offer our sincere apologies for the timing. However as Johnny has said competition is not unhealthy.

With regard to our Jacket further information will be released when we are happy with the quality of the product. As has been alluded here this may well be some time further on. It has been a long time coming, it may well take a long time more. But until we are 100% satisfied no jacket will be released. Andrew’s involvement is to ensure that this pledge to 100% accuracy is honored.

With regard to what has been said about Andrew, all I can say is that from my and all those who have had the privilege of either working or being associated with him will confirm, he is a true gentlemen and a man of total integrity. The vitriol displayed here really has no place on this or any other forum.

Regards to all
Rick

I find this offers no clarity whatsoever. Why didn't YOU post the information about your jacket (after very nearly 10 years of work with others involved?) And as you and Andrew are both members,
the timing of the announcement becomes even more incomprehensible - unless the sole purpose was to kick the chair away from beneath another man. It was surely very easy for either of you to have AVOIDED the coincidence, but instead you actually created it. So, in what way do you consider the original announcement a coincidence? Surely you see this? I feel it's about as far away from integrity as you can be - but then, I'm no businessman.

Tim P

No, I applaud the effort, I really do and the specificity of the contract is a real niche thing. I just despair over how all the high end makers have (perhaps necessarily) upped their game and their pricing to the point where acquiring their wares is becoming a real elitist thing. My problem perhaps for being of such finite means. :(
I think I have baulked at the idea that once the privileged few had been served then the rest of society can take their chances with what's left. If I am being at all unfair then I apologise wholeheartedly.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.

m444uk said:

Few-standingava.jpg

In NZ it's not even considered an occupation ... I'm a volunteer.

Vcruiser

deeb7 said:
m444uk said:

Few-standingava.jpg

In NZ it's not even considered an occupation ... I'm a volunteer.

...but that is a 'propper' uniform!..the shoes match the jacket...the pants match the hair...and I would bet the shirt closely matches the shades. :cool:

RCSignals

rich said:
coanda said:
I feel this thread has gone far enough, Certainly the vitriol and some cases the abuse that has been shown to towards Andrew S is beyond the pail. Andrew has been asked to announce that "we" are finally nearing a position where a truly accurate reproduction of a 1938 Irvin Airchute jacket, is becoming a reality. This is in my case after very nearly 10 years of work with others involved.

I do feel that we have to apologise to Johnny over the timing of the release, what ever my protestations, it is never going to look to be coincidental, I/we will offer our sincere apologies for the timing. However as Johnny has said competition is not unhealthy.

With regard to our Jacket further information will be released when we are happy with the quality of the product. As has been alluded here this may well be some time further on. It has been a long time coming, it may well take a long time more. But until we are 100% satisfied no jacket will be released. Andrew’s involvement is to ensure that this pledge to 100% accuracy is honored.

With regard to what has been said about Andrew, all I can say is that from my and all those who have had the privilege of either working or being associated with him will confirm, he is a true gentlemen and a man of total integrity. The vitriol displayed here really has no place on this or any other forum.

Regards to all
Rick

I find this offers no clarity whatsoever. Why didn't YOU post the information about your jacket (after very nearly 10 years of work with others involved?) And as you and Andrew are both members,
the timing of the announcement becomes even more incomprehensible - unless the sole purpose was to kick the chair away from beneath another man. It was surely very easy for either of you to have AVOIDED the coincidence, but instead you actually created it. So, in what way do you consider the original announcement a coincidence? Surely you see this? I feel it's about as far away from integrity as you can be - but then, I'm no businessman.

That is what I was trying to say. All the talk of high end advertising campaigns and product releases don't really apply here. There seems to be no good reason for the timing of Andrews announcement other that the announcement of Jon. Likewise considering the uber accurate pre-war Irvin project is no where near ready, there is no reason for its sudden announcement and if it were just coincidence, no reason a delay couldn't have been made having seen Jon's post.

flyboy

The problem is that some look at this place as a meeting place of friends with the same interests - and some sees this as a marketplace.

Seen from a marketing point of view I fully understands why Andrew & Co announced their option.
Seen from a friends point of view, they could easily have waited a month or so - without loosing customers -or friends.

But - Hey - it's out in the open now.
And we can all look forward to some really great jackets from two producers who really care about what they are doing.
We all get a better choice than before.
And some of us get a chance to buy much better repro Irvins.
Wether it'll be Jon fantastic and different models repros - or the stitch by stitch IAC 38 repro from AM.
Luckily we are not forced to buy - we just have better options.
Amen!