• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A.M. Clothing Irvin Jackets-the ultimate RAF fleece jacket!

Roughwear

Re: A.M. Clothing Irvin Jackets-the ultimate RAF fleece jack

Thank you John. I'm merely the historical consultant. I did not plan the timing of this thread and I certainly did not have the authority to give the heads up on the project to anyone here, including Jon. I'm simply passionate about Irvins and would like people to be able to buy the most accurate pre-War jacket possible- end of story.

John Lever

Just wanted to set the record straight before you were burned at the stake.

Roughwear

It's ok John, I will wear a fire proof suit! :lol:

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.

Dr H said:
@ David
If that's the case I hope the sleeve profile is right...
And that the two sleeves are the same length... :roll:

:D

John Lever

You can say what you like about Stuart's views but he makes solid jackets....

767fo

Roughwear said:
Thank you John. I'm merely the historical consultant. I did not plan the timing of this thread and I certainly did not have the authority to give the heads up on the project to anyone here, including Jon. I'm simply passionate about Irvins and would like people to be able to buy the most accurate pre-War jacket possible- end of story.

I wish you all the best with this project and I am looking forward to seeing the jacket.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.

Roughwear said:
... None of the backers felt under any obligation to let Jon, Gary Eastman etc..know about the project before going public.

Why is the identity of the backers a secret?

Haven't they told their wives yet?

Peter Graham

rich said:
Andrew's timing is certainly exquisite. If you rewind back the 10 (ten) years his project has been in the pipeline, who would have imagined it would come into fruition just a few days after another member is trying to fill his order book. The coincidence is really quite uncanny. You could almost imagine it's actually about diverting interest away from a very public project where everything was in the open. The lack of details in Roughwear's presentation, hush-hush information divulged only to certain parties, and no pictures of the finished item could make it look like, at this stage, as though it's all been rushed through. (That zip aint worth thousands of pounds, that's for sure.)
I fervently hope Jon will prosper because he will be able to offer a custom fit rather than a 'stitch perfect' repro which fundamentally means a jacket which will be too long in the arms and too short in the body - well, at least for those of us who want to wear jackets for things other than flying in aircraft.
Beautifully put as always Rich. My sentiments entirely. There's something very cold, calculated and rather unpleasant about this.

John Lever

Not really, the man behind the project is not a forum member.

rich

Roughwear said:

Ah, just obeying orders then. Historically speaking, this tends to have a less than happy outcome.

Roughwear

rich said:
Roughwear said:

Ah, just obeying orders then. Historically speaking, this tends to have a less than happy outcome.

Very funny Rich. I am saddened that someone who has an interest in Irvins is being so unnecessarily critical in his posts.

ButteMT61

I'm one of the "newer" guys here, but did you really expect a different outcome? Cripes, when something feels wrong, it usually is, and this just doesn't pass the smell test. I'd say the same to anyone here that did this. My opinion probably means squat to you (and others) but I'm a member here (and elsewhere) and when I saw the posts, I thought it seemed like a low-blow. Guess that's why I'm not a wealthy businessman. I haven't the profile for such things. And that you have basically replied in an uncaring manner leads me to believe this will hurt your endeavors. It might make for a good businessman, it might not. But it sure makes for a lousy day when folks start behaving the way they have around here lately...
Trust is hard to earn, even harder to get back once lost.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.

It's true Andrew, I think you're fighting a losing battle here.

Jon has worked long, and hard to get his project off the ground. We've watched it progress on the forum, every step of the way ... and he's not an Eastman, he's one of us.

Peter Graham

Roughwear said:
rich said:
Roughwear said:

Very funny Rich. I am saddened that someone who has an interest in Irvins is being so unnecessarily critical in his posts.
What sort of a response is that ? Because someone has an interest in Irvin's doesn't make them a heartless SOB. I think it's obvious to all here that your announcement was timed to hurt Jon's venture. There are some who won't give a damn and buy both jackets because they can but if I were in the market for a repro Irvin, which I may be at some stage, I know who I'd buy it from.

Persimmon

Roughwear said:
I pleased to announce the launch of a project to manufacture the most accurate reproduction Irvin jackets since the War. The project is backed by several people who share a passion for Irvins. I have been the historical consultant on the venture for over a year. The aim is to reproduce 1938 two-panel Irvin Air Chute jackets in sizes up to a 52 chest.

Several original jackets have been taken apart (not by me!) for accurate patterns. The sheepskin will be as close to that used on originals as is possible today and will have the correct chestnut shade on the skin side. The zips will be copies of Dot zips, which were used on all pre-War Irvins. For copyright reasons the jackets will not be fitted with an Irvin Air Chute label, although this will be supplied with each jacket for the owner to attach if he wishes. They will have a hand sewn A.M. Clothing linen label. The A.M Clothing name has been registered at Companies House.

I have seen the first test jacket, which is a correct pattern for the 1938 Irvin. All the jackets will be made by a leading maker of reproduction garments and there will be exacting quality control. There are sufficient skins to produce around 50 jackets and each jacket will come with an Irvin information booklet and a signed endorsement from a Battle of Britain fighter pilot. We anticipate launching the A.M. Clothing jacket in the summer and the cost is likely to be in the £800-£1000 price bracket.

These jackets should appeal to enthusiasts who want a really accurate reproduction Irvin rather than risk damaging an original jacket! More information about ordering will be available shortly.

Roughwear said:

Andrew
I am a touch comfused about the post that states you did not plan the timing of this thread yet by the very nature of being the Original Poster you were.
Was that forced on your by the Syndicate ?

You mention that their are enough Skins for approx 50 of these fantastic jackets.
Does that mean that after these are sold the project is over and Jon, Eastman, Aero etc are on their own again in the market or is their plans for more skins or different "Elite" style jackets to come using different skins etc

rich

Roughwear said:
:oops: Very funny Rich. I am saddened that someone who has an interest in Irvins is being so unnecessarily critical in his posts.

Believe me, you're not the only one that is saddened by recent posts. And sometimes, criticism is essential - otherwise, it's just an oligarchy ........ and I'm sure you wouldn't want that.

omarco

Peter Graham said:
I think it's obvious to all here that your announcement was timed to hurt Jon's venture. There are some who won't give a damn and buy both jackets because they can but if I were in the market for a repro Irvin, which I may be at some stage, I know who I'd buy it from.

this for me too i'm afraid.

Roughwear

deeb7 said:
It's true Andrew, I think you're fighting a losing battle here.

Jon has worked long, and hard to get his project off the ground. We've watched it progress on the forum, every step of the way ... and he's not an Eastman, he's one of us.

There's no battle here to lose David! :eek:
I really admire Jon's work and have praised it as much as many here. There is room for several Irvin makers and enthusiasts can decide who they will buy from.

HHjackets

apparently the first test jacket is done but no photos will be released until you are 100% satisfied of the pre-production jackets, so when would that be?
if someone wants to place an order now, how long would they have to wait before they get it?
the zipper is not looking good and still needs work and you say all be revealed later in the year, we are only in february.

jonnyboy's ready to take orders now, you could have waited until you had a proper jacket to show and then make your announcement and take orders.