• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A.M. Clothing Irvin Jackets-the ultimate RAF fleece jacket!

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Re: A.M. Clothing Irvin Jackets-the ultimate RAF fleece jack

So is Aero making these?

Andrew

I presume we can comment on these?

Plus 1 for the zips but the edges look a bit sharp.

In the tradition of nearly every Irvin I'd be losing that label pretty quickly ;)

Dr H

Andrew
Nice work - I'm happy with my Links so wouldn't be a customer for the jacket, but I'd be interested to pick up a copy of the Irvin information booklet, in lieu of your magnum opus?
Any chance?
Cheers
Ian

omarco

great looking project, any plans to expand into other fleece jackets?

Roughwear

Andrew said:
I presume we can comment on these?

Plus 1 for the zips but the edges look a bit sharp.

In the tradition of nearly every Irvin I'd be losing that label pretty quickly ;)

These are the first batch of Dot zip and they still need a little work doing to the edges. I just wanted to post some pics to show that the zips will be accurate copies of Dot zips.

Roughwear

Dr H said:
Andrew
Nice work - I'm happy with my Links so wouldn't be a customer for the jacket, but I'd be interested to pick up a copy of the Irvin information booklet, in lieu of your magnum opus?
Any chance?
Cheers
Ian

I can't answer this at the moment. The information booklet will not be a book on Irvin jackets as that is for the future!

Dr H

Thanks Andrew - please don't hang around though (I'm only relying on 3 score and 10 at the moment) ;)

Persimmon

Sounds like you have been busy sorting this out.
My best wishes for the project.

Are you going to make "real" jackets after the 50 have been signed off ?

Not those heavyweight big boys - You know the one's with Buttons !!

Dr H

:mrgreen:
Ah, now I hadn't thought about that - now I'm getting interested.

Roughwear

There are no plans to make any other types of jackets, just RAF sheepskin jackets.

Persimmon

Roughwear said:
There are no plans to make any other types of jackets, just RAF sheepskin jackets.

Ah, of course, Eastman already have the A1 in the stock inventory

rikbb

I can imagine, some people might be interested in the zips alone too…

Roughwear

rikbb said:
I can imagine, some people might be interested in the zips alone too…

I'm sure many people would like to buy them, but there are no plans to sell them separately.

Dani-B

Good luck with this ambitious project, chaps!

Regards Dani

A

Anonymous

good luck guys

jonnyboy

Andrew, I must say I was surprised by your announcement, and specifically its timing.

As you will know from reading my posts, I've been working on my repro Irvin jackets for three years. In that time I have sourced the correct industrial sewing machines and become skilled in their use. Using the most closely matched sheepskins I have produced highly accurate reproductions from a deconstructed 1941 original. My jackets have been universally welcomed on the forums, and have received terrific praise from purchasers, as you will have seen. One of my proudest moments has been receiving a resounding endorsement from Wing Commander K.H.H. Cook DFC - a member of the Dambusters Squadron.

After an extensive testing phase, I posted that I was ready to accept orders for production jackets (numbers 6-12), so you can understand that the timing of your announcement is disappointing. I have invested everything - blood, sweat and tears - to reach the point where I’m ready to take orders for jackets. I've been very open about what I've been doing, and have shared all of the progress on the forum. It's been a long, hard slog to get to this point, but it has been a labour of love. For me, making reproduction Irvin jackets is all I want to do.

The fact that you made your announcement the day after I posted to say I was now ready to take orders, feels like you are trying to pull the rug from under my feet. Your post reads like a condensed version of what I’ve said my aims and aspirations have been throughout the various posts about my project.

I know that making accurate reproduction Irvin jackets isn't a copyrighted idea, but I just wish that you'd let me know your intentions. Nobody should be frightened of competition, so I look forward to seeing photographs of the jacket you’ve had made.

Jon

John Lever

Jon,
This project has been in the making for a year at least. There has been considerable outlay to make the zips (thousands) and the silk labels. There has also been an extensive search for the correct sheepskins.
I understand that it has all now come together and it is a coincidence (I hope) about the announcement. Even so it is unfortunate. I think there is space for both projects and hope both are successful.