• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A.M. Clothing Irvin Jackets-the ultimate RAF fleece jacket!

Roughwear

I pleased to announce the launch of a project to manufacture the most accurate reproduction Irvin jackets since the War. The project is backed by several people who share a passion for Irvins. I have been the historical consultant on the venture for over a year. The aim is to reproduce 1938 two-panel Irvin Air Chute jackets in sizes up to a 52 chest.

Several original jackets have been taken apart (not by me!) for accurate patterns. The sheepskin will be as close to that used on originals as is possible today and will have the correct chestnut shade on the skin side. The zips will be copies of Dot zips, which were used on all pre-War Irvins. For copyright reasons the jackets will not be fitted with an Irvin Air Chute label, although this will be supplied with each jacket for the owner to attach if he wishes. They will have a hand sewn A.M. Clothing linen label. The A.M Clothing name has been registered at Companies House.

I have seen the first test jacket, which is a correct pattern for the 1938 Irvin. All the jackets will be made by a leading maker of reproduction garments and there will be exacting quality control. There are sufficient skins to produce around 50 jackets and each jacket will come with an Irvin information booklet and a signed endorsement from a Battle of Britain fighter pilot. We anticipate launching the A.M. Clothing jacket in the summer and the cost is likely to be in the £800-£1000 price bracket.

These jackets should appeal to enthusiasts who want a really accurate reproduction Irvin rather than risk damaging an original jacket! More information about ordering will be available shortly.

CBI

Re: A.M. Clothing Irvin Jackets-the ultimate RAF fleece jack

very cool!!!!!!

767fo

Look forward to seeing them!!!

Jason

We're being spoilt for choice on ultra-high-end repros. First JC with A-2s and the occasional G-1, A-1 and others, and now Jon and yourself offering Irvins. Its an exciting time to be involved in the hobby.

rikbb

Sounds really good, would love to see the proto type!
bon courage!

Peter Graham

Sounds exciting. Looking forward to seeing the first example.

John Lever

I have had one on order for months. Can't wait !!

767fo

Roughwear said:
I pleased to announce the launch of a project to manufacture the most accurate reproduction Irvin jackets since the War. The project is backed by several people who share a passion for Irvins. I have been the historical consultant on the venture for over a year. The aim is to reproduce 1938 two-panel Irvin Air Chute jackets in sizes up to a 52 chest.

Several original jackets have been taken apart (not by me!) for accurate patterns. The sheepskin will be as close to that used on originals as is possible today and will have the correct chestnut shade on the skin side. The zips will be copies of Dot zips, which were used on all pre-War Irvins. For copyright reasons the jackets will not be fitted with an Irvin Air Chute label, although this will be supplied with each jacket for the owner to attach if he wishes. They will have a hand sewn A.M. Clothing linen label. The A.M Clothing name has been registered at Companies House.

I have seen the first test jacket, which is a correct pattern for the 1938 Irvin. All the jackets will be made by a leading maker of reproduction garments and there will be exacting quality control. There are sufficient skins to produce around 50 jackets and each jacket will come with an Irvin information booklet and a signed endorsement from a Battle of Britain fighter pilot. We anticipate launching the A.M. Clothing jacket in the summer and the cost is likely to be in the £800-£1000 price bracket.

These jackets should appeal to enthusiasts who want a really accurate reproduction Irvin rather than risk damaging an original jacket! More information about ordering will be available shortly.

Andrew, can you post pics of an original the repro will represent? Thanks

Roughwear

Thanks chaps for the positive endorsement. The jackets will be based on 1938 pattern Irvin Air Chute jackets, like the two below.

037.jpg

039.jpg

043.jpg

We will not be releasing any photos until the pre-production jackets are 100% to our satisfaction.

Ian C

I think I need to get making some bows to finance one. Always wanted an Irvin

Andrew

You 'ol dog Andrew. Who is this consortium? What's their history of manufacturing in this area?

Please please if these will really be as good as you say make sure there's some indelible marking in them that identifies them as repros. There's already enough fakes being sold as real and these may well be very hard to distinguish over time.

I'd love one of these but that is one steep price tag. If there was a chance to drop the price i'd rather skip the extra bits and just have a jacket. We're not out of the economic woods yet and as you've often said you can buy a good original for less than the cost of a high end repro!

I feel for Jon who's just starting off his venture at the same time.

Roughwear

There is no a consortium as such, just a small group of Irvin enthusiasts/collector who are passionate about manufacturing an accurate IAC repro. I'm not able to reveal any more information at this stage.

Roughwear

There will soon be a website. Here are a couple of pics of specially made repro Dot zips. The stopper bucket will not be blackened on the production jackets.

P1020839.jpg

P1020837.jpg

Each jacket will have an A.M. Clothing label sewn in below the hanging chain.

photo.jpg