• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A.M. Clothing Irvin Jackets-the ultimate RAF fleece jacket!

Tim P

Re: A.M. Clothing Irvin Jackets-the ultimate RAF fleece jack

Surely, a worthy recipient is anyone with the means to pay and a desire to own one?
You make it out of Argonaut fleece with zips harvested from Montgomerys own Irvin, it is still a repro piece. It can never be more original than original.

Consider as a parallel, the ww2 Jeep. Loved by many, there is not a single component that cannot be sourced as a remanufacture to enable a ground floor up construction. Someone so inclined may choose to build one from scratch using original deadstock lights and a gearbox to be quirky.. but in sourcing canvas for the tilt and seat covers that exceeds original spec, and painting it with up to the minute polymer colourfast paint, it becomes more than the original was, Because it wasnt thrown together by rows and rows of assembly line workers working to wartime deadlines to get equipment out.

I applaud the absolute attention to detail that a remake of this pedigree offers of course. If it encourages others to up their game that necessary 5 or 10 per cent for a reasonable price then it has been a triumph. if they are available in numbers to anyone who can save the necessary cash, when they have saved it then that is true cause for celebration.

On the other hand, if the fate of the jackets is predetermined, good luck for the privileged few.

JDAM

Tim P said:
Surely, a worthy recipient is anyone with the means to pay and a desire to own one?
You make it out of Argonaut fleece with zips harvested from Montgomerys own Irvin, it is still a repro piece. It can never be more original than original.

No, worthy meaning those who have earned them. Not one of them is interested in the financial aspects. There's more to life than buying a jacket for a dollar and selling it for two. Indeed, a reproduction, but with quality genuine hardware that makes all the difference.

ButteMT61

So now the secret society comes out? Please. Time to stop? No. This has been a nightmare - not for me, or others looking for jackets, but for Jon. You guys (Rick and whoever else is involved) had the 'nads to put this project in the spotlight and announce - RIGHT AFTER Jon DID - your "jackets", none of which exist into the forums. I don't want to hear about corporate similarities - if you use these forums (tfl, etc.) to sell your goods you're not in that realm. This is personal. You've lost sales fellas. Many may care about "stitch for stitch" accuracy, many don't. Those that don't will not be on your client listings. Andrew is smart and an encyclopedia of knowledge on jackets. He's helped me on occasion. That does not give anyone the right to stomp on a fellow member trying to carve out a small niche in this great hobby. Whoever the "pro's" involved in making the final jackets are, I hope they learn from this. It could very well cost you in other sales down the road. It's left a bad taste in a LOT of member's mouths, across the globe. Poorly handled fellas. A gentleman would have let Jon know. It's rather like shooting your opponent in the back.

Dr H

Some wise counsel there chaps...

fenaxton44

Im relatively new to this forum and it looks to me Andrew and his syndicate are going to reproduce a pre war jacket which is not available anywhere else as i understand Jon is producing wartime jackets, it looks to me like two separate types of markets because people purchasing Andrew's jackets are purists and if you are not a purist you would purchase Jon's jackets as they are very well made and accurate to wartime and cheaper.

Hawkeye

Been lurking and following this thread with great interest, and I have to say that while I have the greatest respect for Andrew and his knowledge of the "source material" so to speak, the timing of this announcement is EXTREMELY suspect. (I also acknowledge that Andrew is not the sole person calling the shots in this regard). Its also disappointing to see that all the attention and accolades over at the hat forum are focused on the "new" unseen repro rather than Jons jackets, which Jon had announced in the very previous post in the Irvin thread. The whole thing has definitely left a bitter taste in many mouths here. Not the greatest way to drum up sales in this relatively small community.

ButteMT61

Hawkeye said:
Been lurking and following this thread with great interest, and I have to say that while I have the greatest respect for Andrew and his knowledge of the "source material" so to speak, the timing of this announcement is EXTREMELY suspect. (I also acknowledge that Andrew is not the sole person calling the shots in this regard). Its also disappointing to see that all the attention and accolades over at the hat forum are focused on the "new" unseen repro rather than Jons jackets, which Jon had announced in the very previous post in the Irvin thread. The whole thing has definitely left a bitter taste in many mouths here. Not the greatest way to drum up sales in this relatively small community.

Some posts in the hat joint got deleted. Another reason to wonder what the **** is going on. One of mine did, and it was innocuous. So...it appears to be like the CIA - nobody knows who's involved. Maybe it's all "Bush's fault" :lol:

havocpaul

Hawkeye said:

Exactly. And ButteMT61, well said too. I must say I hadn't noticed it on the hat forum as it was stuck on the Irvin repro thread rather than being a new posting, I wonder what other forums it was simultaneously announced on too. Maybe 'attacking' Andrew has a hint of shooting the messenger but everyone involved, anonymous or not, should feel pretty lousy the way they have gone about it, sales and reputations tarnished and no product even seen yet :shock:

Peter Graham

JDAM said:
The first ten are being supplied to what the manufacturers have rightly discerned to be 'worthy recipients', a mix of DB 6/7, Spitfire and Hurricane owners. Another 15 will be produced later in the year for the elite discreet collector network. The sheepskin is being sourced from animals who's ancestors are proven through DNA-testing of jackets to have contributed to the war effort in the Spring of 1939.
This is elitist twaddle of the worst kind. How does owning a DB6/7 or a Spitfire make you a "worthy recipient". All it makes you is very rich. A worthy recipient in my book is an 85 year old ex Lancaster tail gunner now sitting alone in a council house and not being able to afford to heat it. At least it might keep him warm. I'm totally disgusted at this whole hyper exclusive Irvin nonsense. It's a copy of a WW2 government clothing contract. That's all. Get over it.

ButteMT61

Yeah, all you used to have to do to get a good jacket (gub'ment issued) was signup to risk your life flying over a theater not of your choosing...
Now, it's a bunch of grown men b*tching over "accuracy" :shock:

00124_Photo-1.jpg

Dr H

+1
with you on that one Peter

omarco

I thought it was a pisstake, perhaps my sarcasm radar is on the blink

John Lever

It has to be ! Who could get DNA from 70 year old sheepskin ?
Surely skins were sourced from all over the Commonwealth ?

jonnyboy

I'd just like to thank everyone who has shown support for me and my jackets - it's been overwhelming and I really appreciate it.

I'd like to reiterate that my disappointment wasn't about my project having competition - as we all know, there are several companies currently making reproduction Irvins, to varying degrees of authenticity. They co-exist happily, each with their own loyal customers. I'm confident there's room for two more manufacturers. What shocked me was the timing of the announcement.

It would be nice to be able to draw a line under this. For my part, nothing changes: I'll keep on making highly accurate Irvin jackets and I'm
now open for business.

Thanks again for your fantastic support.

Jon

Dr H

John Lever said:

That isn't the unrealistic bit (70 years isn't old in those terms)...

m444uk

Peter Graham said:
JDAM said:
The first ten are being supplied to what the manufacturers have rightly discerned to be 'worthy recipients', a mix of DB 6/7, Spitfire and Hurricane owners. Another 15 will be produced later in the year for the elite discreet collector network. The sheepskin is being sourced from animals who's ancestors are proven through DNA-testing of jackets to have contributed to the war effort in the Spring of 1939.
This is elitist twaddle of the worst kind. How does owning a DB6/7 or a Spitfire make you a "worthy recipient". All it makes you is very rich. A worthy recipient in my book is an 85 year old ex Lancaster tail gunner now sitting alone in a council house and not being able to afford to heat it. At least it might keep him warm. I'm totally disgusted at this whole hyper exclusive Irvin nonsense. It's a copy of a WW2 government clothing contract. That's all. Get over it.

Leg, pulling of.

havocpaul

jonnyboy said:
I'd just like to thank everyone who has shown support for me and my jackets - it's been overwhelming and I really appreciate it.

I'd like to reiterate that my disappointment wasn't about my project having competition - as we all know, there are several companies currently making reproduction Irvins, to varying degrees of authenticity. They co-exist happily, each with their own loyal customers. I'm confident there's room for two more manufacturers. What shocked me was the timing of the announcement.

It would be nice to be able to draw a line under this. For my part, nothing changes: I'll keep on making highly accurate Irvin jackets and I'm
now open for business.

Thanks again for your fantastic support.

Jon

Spoken like a true gent. I now only hope I can fund the purchase of one of your Irvins real soon, good luck with all you do.

Dr H

Dr H said:
John Lever said:

That isn't the unrealistic bit (70 years isn't old in those terms)...

...but equating a DB6 or DB7 with a classic Aston is... ;)