• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

a love hate relationship.....

Tim P

Some people here will recall my delight at winning for a reassonable price a nice Eastman 18775 contract that, unlike the last example I had, is a correct length fit in the arms. I love the yellow lining, the red knits and the russet shade of it, a proper tribute to all shades autumnal :D
The construction of the jacket is stitch perfect, an absolute example of eastmans fastidious quality control.
the downside comes from something Eastman have been criticised for on here before. the absolute deadpan minty, grain free appearence of it.
what shall I do? Wearing the hell out of it just makes it snigger in contempt, you cant crease me..... not a big fan of the hot water treatment, would it even work with this jacket? I am not about to get rid either as it is a long search ended and serves my russet jacket needs better than most could.
Until I can spring for a goodwear £$ouch$£ I am open to suggestions.

greyhound52

Tim

Good luck. Hot water won't help I tried on an ELC. Wearing it might but again I failed in that area too. So I am just plain out of suggestions sorry.

Jason

Wear, wear and more wear. Though you might be wearing it for 5 years, 24/7 before it even begins to develop any of the attractive qualities we so desire.

I've often flirted with the thought of getting a cheap clothes/tumble dryer, and removing or disconnecting the air heating element, and disabling the timer on it - and using that to tumble a stubborn jacket or two. Maybe toss in a few objects to give it a bit of a (gentle) beating as its being tumbled. Tennis balls come to mind.

Someone else suggested wearing a jacket while using a rowing machine once before. That would certainly work the arms and shoulders of the jacket.

Otherwise, roll it up in a ball, kick it about, sit on / sleep on it, use it as a pillow, toss your laptop or briefcase on it in the morning as you go to work. Abuse it, but gently.

CBI

telescope the sleeves (scrunch them up) to the shoulder and press down full force, do the same with the entire jacket (in sections), you will get some creases. This has worked on every jacket I have owned including unwilling Eastmans. Consider aging the seams with either the plastic scrub part of a kithchen sponge (be sure the sponge is dry) or rub the seams with 70-92% rubbing alchohol (typically you will see a/the difference with the alchohol immediately since its dries within seconds - on most but not all leathers). I have only come accross one jacket that I was not able to add a little wear to - in addition to wearing it. The hot water treatment works pretty well but there can be shrinking and it sounds like from other members that it won't work on your particular jacket.

Harlock

Tim P said:
what shall I do? Wearing the hell out of it just makes it snigger in contempt, you cant crease me..... not a big fan of the hot water treatment, would it even work with this jacket? I am not about to get rid either as it is a long search ended and serves my russet jacket needs better than most could.
You know, sometimes you have to just break down and get when you really want. It's actually cheaper in the long run.

Cliff

Run it over with your car a few times then put it in the dog bed for a month !!! :eek: :lol:

Or sleep in it ......but you do run the risk of being ridiculed by your wife and family with that one !! :roll:

John Lever

Tim P said:
Some people here will recall my delight at winning for a reassonable price a nice Eastman 18775 contract that, unlike the last example I had, is a correct length fit in the arms. I love the yellow lining, the red knits and the russet shade of it, a proper tribute to all shades autumnal :D
The construction of the jacket is stitch perfect, an absolute example of eastmans fastidious quality control.
the downside comes from something Eastman have been criticised for on here before. the absolute deadpan minty, grain free appearence of it.
Want it to look bu**ered up ?
Send it to Bevan. He will make it look 10 years older by just wearing it to work.

Peter Graham

Cliff said:
Or sleep in it ......but you do run the risk of being ridiculed by your wife and family with that one !! :roll:
Not any more than you would wearing it on a rowing machine. :)

Cliff

Peter Graham said:
Cliff said:

Oh dear ......you didn't did you ?? :roll: :lol: :lol:

Wasn't that rather warm work Peter ?

Peter Graham

Cliff said:
Peter Graham said:
Cliff said:

Oh dear ......you didn't did you ?? :roll: :lol: :lol:

Wasn't that rather warm work Peter ?
No, no, not me ! Check Jason's reply above.

Cliff

Ah Yes, sorry Peter I misunderstood. Considering a dedicated racing tuned tumble dryer ?? Jason is definately very dedicated to "the look" ! :cool: I am in awe !

Tim P

I have to say that some carefully considered scrunching is causing some aquiesence from the jacket and some leathery character is starting to become apparent. I don't want it to look knackered per se, just to have a bit of something about it.
of course, a 'depot' overdye with some showing through of the reddish base could work...you never know. right now though I am persevering. hard though when my monarch is pre worn as is my RMNZ Dubow.
Just a question of time and effort I think..